Modairflow thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I’ve got warm air central heating and there may be a problem with the thermostat
I always thought the dial on the wall numbered 1 to 10 was the thermostat turning the fan on and off but someone has told me it actually controls the fan speed?
Is this correct?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It does both. Originally warm air heating thermostats did simply switch the burner off, then the fan ran for a couple of minutes to cool the heater before that stopped too. In practice, the occupants could feel hot when the warm air was blowing and then cold when it switched off.

As an effort to overcome this, 'thermista-stat' control was introduced. [aka Johnson & Starley Modairflow] As the property warms up, the fan speed is automatically reduced and the burner fires intermittently; the idea being that the heat output would reduce gradually and then run at a level that would maintain the set temperature, thus avoiding the hot / cold feeling created by the original designs that simply switched from max output to off, with nothing in between.

To find the correct setting for your home normally try setting it to 5 to start with, then make gradual adjustments up or down until a comfortable level is maintained. Once a comfortable setting is achieved, the dial should be left in that position, and the heater will adjust its output accordingly. If it's cold, it will start off with maximum fan speed and burner output, reducing down gradually until the comfortable temperature is reached and maintained.

During the milder weather, the heater will still turn off completely as even on the minimum output it would provide more heat than is required.

That’s really helpful this one is 40 years old so would it still have that dual function?

Sponsored Links
14F0A632-599A-48BE-B079-5BB2D3B0B761.jpeg

It looks like one to me, although I have only seen a few and can't say how old they were, although I believe the term 'Modairflow' was coined to describe this type of thermostat. They still look pretty much the same now.

Capture.JPG

Maybe @ianmcd can provide a more definitive answer.

Last edited:
Yes that is indeed a thermistastat, that varies the fan speed via resistors inside the Warm Air Unit, what is the actual fault that you have ?

Hi there
The dial switches the unit on so I presume the thermostat bit is working but it doesn’t seem to vary the fan speed?

The fan speed is varied by resistors inside the Warm air unit, the originals would probably have been massive green roller types, you might still have them, some units were replaced by an electronic pcb type, do you know which unit you have, a pic would help, of the Warm air unit not the thermistat

This is a photo of the exact same one
I can’t get a photo of the original till I visit my mum

That looks like a Johnston and starley J55-65, wont argue with anyone that says different, most likely cause of your problem is the control system for the modairflow, not anything you can repair yourself, if call in an engineer make sure you say what you have , not everyone is competent at fault finding on these

Thanks very much for all the help
Do you think it’s worth repairing? Having lived there for 30 years If the thermostat bit is working the idea fan control will fine tune the temperature seems unlikely
We just turned it on when we were cold and off when it warmed up

What post code are you ? if you find someone who knows these they can be kept going, I have a few customers that are elderly and are totally against changing to radiator systems, they are not economic to run , but if the customer wants to keep it I wont argue, where I am they were probably about 80% of new social housing in Livingston and other so called new towns, changing them brings its own problems , lots are fitted in asbestos lined compartments and have asbestos flues, if not disturbed it is not a problem, but removing them can be costly, not always though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back