Modern photography..

I

imamartian

When i was a kid we had Kodak.. just... and Superswinger land cameras.. and you would get 12/24/36 prints from 35mm, or the odd instant photo spewed out of huge cameras....

...and all that is great to look back on... 40 or 50 photos is an amazing way to view your childhood!...

but these days with mobile phones that take high res photos, and compact cameras, not reliant on 24 photo film, but 8Gb card that can take 10,000 photos and lots of HD video....

my question is... if you're a great parent and document your child's life in HD... will they ever get the time to view it all?

Sponsored Links
Prob not, I have taken literally thousand of pictures of my daughter growing up. Even I have not seen them all theres that many!

Prob not, I have taken literally thousand of pictures of my daughter growing up. Even I have not seen them all theres that many!

That's my point... but don't stop... :)

Not a chance :) .....when shes 18 they are all going on a DVD for her 18th birthday party ( which she will prob want) and played throughout the night in what ever club we have her party at.......massive screen for everyone to see her growing up!

Sponsored Links

That's my point... but don't stop... :)

Not a chance :) .....when shes 18 they are all going on a DVD for her 18th birthday party ( which she will prob want) and played throughout the night in what ever club we have her party at.......massive screen for everyone to see her growing up!

lol... she won't like that.... for quite a few years...! :LOL:

But it's a great opportunity we never had when we were young!

I still have a Pentax ME super with various lenses, filters etc which hasn't been used for a few years :oops: It was, as I believe, the first to have variable settings via the screen at the touch of a button ( or two )
Then again, I have a Nokia N85 phone with lots of features, including a good camera, but for the life of me, I can't remember how to download the pics from it to my PC :oops: Not a technophobe as you can tell

When i was a kid we had Kodak.. We had a box camera that took 8 exposures on a 120 spool complete with film and backing paper. Later, we had a Brownie 127 which took 12 exposures....the tiny 127 film.Even later, we had an Ilford 35mm Sport...

.....and all that is great to look back on... 40 or 50 photos is an amazing way to view your childhood!...........We have in excess of 2000 photos of our kids prior to the digital revolution.

These days with mobile phones that take high res photos, and compact cameras, not reliant on 24 photo film, but 8Gb card that can take 10,000 photos and lots of HD video....Our computer crashed and if I hadn't saved them on a HD, we would have lost the lot.

my question is... if you're a great parent and document your child's life in HD... will they ever get the time to view it all?..............The answer to that is no.................

...........however, if you want to make really sure that the photos are available for all to see in the future, take them down to your nearest outlet, get them printed off and store them in a shoebox in the attic.

I still have a Pentax ME super with various lenses, filters etc which hasn't been used for a few years :oops: It was, as I believe, the first to have variable settings via the screen at the touch of a button ( or two )
Then again, I have a Nokia N85 phone with lots of features, including a good camera, but for the life of me, I can't remember how to download the pics from it to my PC :oops: Not a technophobe as you can tell

There'll be a weird wire in the box you bought the phone in and you plug it in and the software will download the pics!

When i was a kid we had Kodak.. We had a box camera that took 8 exposures on a 120 spool complete with film and backing paper. Later, we had a Brownie 127 which took 12 exposures....the tiny 127 film.Even later, we had an Ilford 35mm Sport...

.....and all that is great to look back on... 40 or 50 photos is an amazing way to view your childhood!...........We have in excess of 2000 photos of our kids prior to the digital revolution.

These days with mobile phones that take high res photos, and compact cameras, not reliant on 24 photo film, but 8Gb card that can take 10,000 photos and lots of HD video....Our computer crashed and if I hadn't saved them on a HD, we would have lost the lot.

my question is... if you're a great parent and document your child's life in HD... will they ever get the time to view it all?..............The answer to that is no.................

...........however, if you want to make really sure that the photos are available for all to see in the future, take them down to your nearest outlet, get them printed off and store them in a shoebox in the attic.

Bolo, that's a bizarre way to misquote my post... what on earth are you on about?

We've scanned in about a thousand old photos over the last few months (storing the originals in the loft) and have them on a random show on a electronic photo frame in the lounge as well as the pc in the "study".

Dont' think we'd ever have got to see them again otherwise.

We've scanned in about a thousand old photos over the last few months (storing the originals in the loft) and have them on a random show on a electronic photo frame in the lounge as well as the pc in the "study".

JML, i suggest you store the originals in your parent's(?) loft... that way a fire wont destroy all

JML, i suggest you store the originals in your parent's(?) loft... that way a fire wont destroy all
Sadly my parent house is a couple of hundred miles away, and my parents are dead :cry:

Even more strange is how my parents had a house fire a couple of years before their death. Just a bit odd you mentioning this right at this moment in time (it'll be the first anniversary of my mother's death in a few days).

Sadly my parent house is a couple of hundred miles away, and my parents are dead :cry:

Even more strange is how my parents had a house fire a couple of years before their death. Just a bit odd you mentioning this right at this moment in time (it'll be the first anniversary of my mother's death in a
few days).

Apolgies JML... i'm not a psychic... but i'm sorry for dredging up bad memories.... store your photos at work maybe?

Bolo, that's a bizarre way to misquote my post... what on earth are you on about?
Your memories brought my own memories flooding back and I typed them in as they came. We have thousands of early photos ie pre-digital, but have lost later ones through a computer crash. I just wish that I had never gone digital and like last weekend, gone through the 'shoebox' with the whole family. It's not the same with a computer. Sorry if I offended you.

Your memories brought my own memories flooding back and I typed them in as they came. We have thousands of early photos ie pre-digital, but have lost later ones through a computer crash. I just wish that I had never gone digital and like last weekend, gone through the 'shoebox' with the whole family. It's not the same with a computer. Sorry if I offended you.

The obvious folly of maintaining ONE copy of a document or image is blindingly obvious, yet not to millions of people it seems.

Think, if you lose that one copy, how are you going to replace it?

Isnt it obvious you need three copies + the original (two copies in one physical place, plus two other physical locations for the other image and the original) to ensure the survival of the image ?

Sponsored Links
Back