Moisture/damp proof stone mullions on bay windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for a little advice on a potential problem from windows being upgraded.

I recently bought a property for renovation with 4 bay windows, each bay has 10 units. All units are divided only by stone/mullions. The current frames are heritage style - (rusted out steel, single glaze) in terrible shape with very heavy condensation as you would expect.

I am getting all windows replaced with A rated aluminium units to maintain the style. However, on the survey I have been warned there is a high chance I will face damp problems with moisture coming through the stone instead of the windows (essentially the path for moisture through the windows will be blocked and damp path will focus through the stone)

This is something they have said they cannot take responsibility for because of the stone design- if it does cause a major issue.

They have offered advice to avoid it happening which is why I am here.
Firstly: waterproof the outside stone with a typical stone waterproofing solution. (I had planned to do this anyway)
Secondly: "tape up" the stone internally with a butyl tape or similar, this would be prior to boarding the mullions internally with clad, currently all internal mullions are bare stone. I have checked and there are tapes wide enough to cover each vertical/horizontal in one pass but I can't find anything described as spefic for this type of problem.

First thing that comes to my mind is having both sides sealed up in this way, it might have the potential to trap moisture?

Does it sound like a reasonable solution? Does anyone have experience of anything similar or have alternative solutions to preempt this problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Dan
Scaffold Order_5.jpg

Attachments

• Scaffold Order_5.jpg
    Scaffold Order_5.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back