Securing a Window Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I made a window box for an upstairs window. It's made of decking planks and is a simple box shape. It sits on a stone window sill between stone mullions(?) on either side.

It works well and tending the plants is easy from the inside as it's a sash window.

This year I plan to make one for a similar downstairs window. It's close to the street and I don't want anyone to steal it. Any ideas on how I can fit it so any casual thieves can't walk off with it? I'd like to do it without drilling or damaging the stonework. My idea is to fit it very tight between the side mullions that it can't be easily removed. I have a vision of a side piece I can put between the box and the mullion. This side piece has a key I can wind it up with so it expands and makes a tight fit. Does such a thing exist? If not does anyone have any other ideas - short of wiring up to the mains?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back