conservatory window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. I'm looking for advice and opinions please...

I have a 3 sided conservatory built with dwarf walls, upper hardwood frame and polycarbonate roof.

On the weather facing end (2.8m long) the timber that makes the internal frame has rotted away where the uprights and mullion cross members meet. The external surround of the frame is fine.

I was thinking about doing the following at both ends so they match.

Cutting out the uprights and mullions to leave the rectangle frame.

Replace with 2x4 uprights with cross members like a stud wall creating an aperture for a upvc window in the centre

Board up externally with ply and then horizontal t&g cladding finished with a nice colour

plasterboard internally with insulation in between.

Any thoughts or issues?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Either should be fine.

If you replace the one window with PVC I would consider taking out the whole of the old window, This way as and when any others go you can replace them in the same way without disturbing the work you have already done.

Basically if you make the window small enough to fit in the old timber frame and that frame/cill rot at a later date you will end up with a PVC window that is too small to fill the hole. You would have to take the window back out and build a new wooden frame for it if you see what I mean.

Hi and thanks.

But I was thinking more along the lines of turning the whole window into a studd wall.

Keeping the hardwood surround which is in good condition. Removing all the parts that are rotten and that divide the whole window into 6 parts fir the double glazed units to fit into.

Building studd work into the whole opening with an opening for a single window and ply / cladding the outside and plasterboarding inside.

Does that make sense?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back