replace leaded windows with double glazed units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace some 100 year old windows with double glazed units that look similar. The old windows are leaded in metal frames set in stone mullions. The house isnt listed but it would be nice to keep the original appearance as much as possible. Can anyone reccomend a company that makes this sort of thing please? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, when you say glazed in metal and in stone it worries me. Although not listed..Are you in a conservation area? If so they may not be allowed double glazing and they may insist it's kept as single. Also the issue is how would you fit a thicker sealed unit into the existing metal frame?

If you are allowed double glazing then you need to source a matching paint finish aluminium fixed window to incorporate the double glazed unit thus having the smallest outer frame possible.

These profiles are usually used on commercial installations, you just need a local one. Pilkingtons used to supply and install ali windows ...or google it.

cheers

Thanks for the info. I have found a company called met therm who say they can supply replacement units. we are in a conservation area though. :(

cal - walk around your neighbourhood to spot solutions in similar buildings then ask the householders who did theirs. Then talk to the Conservation Officer at your local Council ... they'll have an appropriate solution and if they get sniffy point-out that others have done it in the area.

Sponsored Links
Even though there are lots of window replacement companies out there, not all of them can maintain the character of the former window. While there are few of them who can manage to restore the window's old glory, most of them come at a hefty price. You can www.windowinfo.co.uk/ to ask for a free quotation for your window replacement needs and get great discounts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back