mold/damp coming through wall

You've got what is seemingly a cold corner with not enough air circulation - hence condensation and mould

Vents made anywhere else in the room would not normally cause enough air movement in that corner of the room

Sponsored Links
As it is a room at the top of the house, and water vapour rises, it may also be that there is excessive moisture somewhere in the rest of the house, e.g. most commonly from shower with no extractor fan, or wet washing or towels draped over radiators or hung up indoors.

p.s. I forgot to mention earlier - if you have a damp patch on a wall, and want to see if the damp is coming through the wall (by penetration) or onto the wall (by condensation), tightly tape a piece of clear plastic to the wall, and watch to see if water droplets form on the wall side, or the room side, of the plastic.

thanks for replies guys.

i have asked the tenants to open the bath window when they use it.

i will be fitting an air vent fairly soon.

I bet they won't open the window "it's cold"

best way i know is to have an extractor fan fitted, to come on automatically every time the bathroom light is put on.

Some people have a psychological aversion to ventalation.

Sponsored Links
i know i should get this put in and will eventually, but at the moment i am very busy. This problem will be solved in jan i think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back