Mold in built in cupboard (duplicate threads merged)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have a 1930s semi detached rental property that has mold inside a built in cupboard.

The cupboard is completely on internal walls and is upstairs. It is on the wall with next door and the back bedroom.

Any suggestion on how I can fix this?
Graham

Sponsored Links
Hi

We have mold in an upstairs built in cupboard in a 1930s semi detached house.

The cupboard is completely surrounded by internal walls.

The walls are the wall with the next door property, another bedroom and the chimney breast

Any ideas on how I can remedy this would be appreciated.

Graham

Hi
yes next door room is used but the chimney breast is not.

I believe the chimney is capped off at the top.

Sponsored Links
Lack of ventilation is the main cause of black mould, any dampness doesn't help and there may be a little damp coming from the chimney. First thing is to clean and kill the mould. A proper 'mould killer' from the supermarket is far better than bleach, bleach cleans it well but only kills the surface spores.
Repaint cupboard either adding an anti mould additive such as VC175, which is about £15 for a small bottle, enough to treat 10 litres of paint. Alternatively, Johnstones do a good anti mould acrylic paint, only available in white I think.
Either should keep it mould free for 5 years.

Hi
We have a 1930s semi detached rental property that has mold inside a built in cupboard.

The cupboard is completely on internal walls and is upstairs. It is on the wall with next door and the back bedroom.

Any suggestion on how I can fix this?
Graham
How can it be completely on external wall if it adjoins neighbours and back bedroom?

It might be that the chimney is not ventilated top and bottom. This causes condensation inside. Are there airbricks in both the upstairs and downstairs where the fireplaces used to be?

Can you get into the loft?

why do you "believe" it is capped?

How can it be completely on external wall if it adjoins neighbours and back bedroom?
It is in the middle of the house all on internal walls, I am classing the adjoining wall with the other semi detached house an in internal wall s it is not an external wall with the outside elements

It might be that the chimney is not ventilated top and bottom. This causes condensation inside. Are there airbricks in both the upstairs and downstairs where the fireplaces used to be?

Can you get into the loft?

why do you "believe" it is capped?
It is a rental property and the tenants have just told me of the issue, i am not in the area but will be travelling there soon so i can check.
I have just checked paperwork and the chimney was capped off a few years ago because the then tenants complained it was draughty. There is an electric fire in the fireplace below but from memory without checking there are not any air vents upstairs and there were never any fireplaces upstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back