mondeo ghia mk3 tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just after some advice please.I have mk3 mondeo ghia ,i just had it serviced ,main dealer,and they advised that the tyres are quiet worn.The car has only done 13000 miles from new in three years.Does this sound about right for these tyres to do this little mileage and wear out.They said the front tyres have 3mm of tread.Goodyear tyres 205/55/16.
Is there any other tyres that would last longer .thanks peter. ps i dont wheel spin the car every where it is my pride and joy

Sponsored Links
It is unusual for a car to go through tyres that quickly. I would suggest that you do a quick inspection yourself.

Are the tyres wearing evenly? If not, it could point to suspension problems. Check the tread depth yourself, using a 2 pence coin. Pirellis are normally a soft compound tyre, and will wear quickly. Michilens are average. Eco tyres are normally the hardest wearing.

Just to add, 13000 miles in three years? Could it be becasue the side walls of the tyres are cracking. Its a problem with tyres when they are sat stationary for too long.

hi the side walls have no cracking they said just worn.i have looked at the depth and they are quiet near the markers.Ford say that these tyres will only last between 15000 to 18000 miles does not seem alot to me peter

Sponsored Links
I would say 15K for a set of tyres is low, but the general rule is the more grip you have (ie the softer they are) the less wear you should expect.

My mondeo seems to eat tyres too, thought it was the softer they are the more they wear? Just trying out a pair of Avons, see if they last longer. Seem to have grip well.

I think ash may have himself backwards there. The harder the rubber the longer they'll generally last.

Powerful engines driving through the front wheels is always a recipe for eating tyres. Just to add to what ASH-GT says; I think you'll find that the more grip you have, the faster you'll wear your tyres out. If your tyres grip the road, then they'll stick to the road. (in that some of the rubber will stay on the road) Hard compound tyres don't afford as much grip as soft ones.
Below is from Wikipedia
The kind of rubber it is made from - the composition of the tread compounds. Soft rubber molds to the shape of small undulations in the road better than harder compounds and therefore grips better. However, soft rubber also wears out more rapidly than hard rubber so there is a difficult compromise to be made in designing the ideal rubber for a particular application.

would any one suggest a tyre that would last longer.i have no faith in goodyear i have been looking on various sites and they rec michelin and avon .Has any body had any dealings with these tyres.Thanks for all the replies

In reply to "pete the plumber" & "spark123" i'm on Avon ZZ3 and before that Avon ZZ1 both 225/50/ZR16, i think these have been superceeded by another tyre now but both these tyres had bloody good grip although there was quite a bit of road roar! I got about 20k out of mine with a 2.5V6 front drive car. i believe these had a slightly soft compound.:cool:

hi millerman ,thats not bad mileage for a 2.5 mine is a 2lt diesel and it is never driven hard,i think a change of brand is in order ,peter

Sponsored Links
Back