Monobloc on bathroom basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom currently empty of everything apart from services.
Installing all from new.
PROBLEM
I have a wall hung basin, monbloc tap, and I have a purpose built frame to hang the basin on. I have also bought 300mm long flexible monobloc tap connectors (no combined isolator valve as I can't find such a beast). Also got 15mm chrome isolator valves (if needed).

Here we go...........

The wall frame has 15mm female outlet to taps.
Monobloc has 10mm female inlet.
Flexible connector has 15mm male one end and 10mm male at other end.
Success !!!!! NO... The flexible is that, flexible, not with any form of swivel at the connections.
How do I screw in 2 male threads at the same time ?
I have a theory, and want confirmation it will work:

The flexible connector is like this:
www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/87/p1810387_l.jpg

I have found an isolating valve that looks like it will succeed. screw valve into wall frame and then screw flexible into valve, keeping flexible male nut in position and tightening female nut on isolator.
www.bulkplumbing.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=7_8&products_id=79

Will this work?

I can only find this isolating valve (15/15) at this one supplier. Everywhere else it appears to be 15 to 1/2".

I know I can do this on other ways, i.e ignore the wall frame connections and simply connect flexible to a normal 15/15 isolator, but I am spending loads of money, and want the finished article to be first class in appearance as well as functionality.

If someone made a 15 to monobloc flexible connector with valve, that has swivel capability, it would solve all problems, but I can't find one. Tried loads of on line searches to no avail.

Another thing. I read with interest that I have to leave isolating valves all over the place. Very good practice I'm sure, but where exactly are you intended to put them when you want to fully tile your bathroom? Reducing the number of access points into my finished walls is my aim, so do I have to make the shower, basin (2 items), and WC isolating vales all accessible at one single point. Seems a lot of hard work for little gain. Surely if there was any sort of leak, the initial route is turn off all mains, and all distributing supplies. Comments on this also please.

Sponsored Links
YOu've lost me.
The wall frame has 15mm female outlet to taps.
eh?

15mm is a pipe size. Do you mean a 1/2" bsp female thread?

You could possibly use EU style fittings, with 10mm chrome solid pipe coming out, if you could hide your flexies up behind the basin - not always possible. You need a GOOD bathroom fitting shop.

An alternative woiuld be to use a short piece of 15mm chrome pipe to fit your flexy and give you the swivel you need.

Tapfittingtowall.jpg
Tapfittingtowall2.jpg
tapfittingtowall3.jpg

Decent-plumbing-fittings.jpg

Jealous: ?

ChrisR

Thanks for a swift reply.

If I remove the nut from a 15mm connector or isolating valve, I assume the thread to be 15mm rather than 1/2", This is what screws into the wall frame (the recepticle is 90degree to further connect to CW, HW).

looking at the images you kindly posted, the one top left would suit my installation as it would be in keeping with the waste trap design, however, it looks to be for 1/2" taps. Exactly what is it referred to as, and where can I obtain one from? (Although fairly experienced DIYer, terminology sometimes gets the better of me as what I call things is not necessarily the shop definition).

ChrisR

Only just realised there was a larger picture at bottom of your reply..... I want it, where, how much, who, what, etc etc etc.

My trap very very similar, but CW and HW exactly what I would want to achieve.

Sponsored Links
If I remove the nut from a 15mm connector or isolating valve, I assume the thread to be 15mm rather than 1/2",
The thread is 1/2" bsp. You can screw it into females and seal with sealant or tape.

The bottom pic is from a Youth Hostel, would you believe. Makes you sick when you see British rubbish, it's in Switzerland! My wife decided I need therapy a long time ago, for taking pics of this sort of thing on holiday...

Actually one pattern of radiator valve, upside down, would fit, but isn't exactly bijou:
Tapradvalve.jpg

As I say you need a plumbing shop which supplies posh kit. I know some in W London, but they're thin on the ground.

ChrisR

Thank you. Very helpful. I'll start looking for W London stores. I'm in Shropshire, but I'm sure they will help us yokels..........

Agree, it is sad that we have to envy those across the water for their finishing touches.

You also seem to have my problem. I work in the fire and security industry. First thing I do in a new place is look for what kit they have installed. Certainly annoys the family.

Billy Connolly used to take photos of the places he visited for his Dad. Empire State Building, from 2 inches away, Sydney Bridge, from underneath etc etc.. My sort of humour that.

Thanks again. I'll look for W London shops, and maybe try and trawl the web for foreign imports.

ChrisR wrote

Jealous: ?

yeah. I had to wear dark shades looking at that chrome trap. :cool:
Someone spent a little time getting all that polished for the camera.
I think a mirror on the floor would be a good idea so that every time one entered the bathroom the full display of pipework would be visible.

Decent-plumbing-fittings.jpg

The pic is from a Youth Hostel, would you believe.... It's in Switzerland
A swiss 'Youth Hostel'!!! imagine the standard in a 5 Star Hotel out there :eek:

I mean the Plumbing is outstanding but also, its immaculate under there!... in a Youth Hostel!!!! So not only do they have excellent Plumbers. They also have fantastic Cleaners too!!! I cannot get over it :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back