New taps, what tail/connectors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping you can advise :)

We've bought a new basin and a mixer basin tap. I'm struggling to work out what we need to connect the taps to the existing pipeworks.

The tap takes 2 x 12mm screw-in connectors which I'm ok with. The existing isolator valve when we take the old taps off is a male thread (15mm as usual).

So, we need a flexible connector between the taps and the male isolator connection. We've got these: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Flexible-Monobloc-Tap-Connector/invt/160136 (8mm bore) and they fit in the tap fine but the other end is a male thread (when you remove the female 15mm nut) so I can't simply connect this to the also male isolator. Also, we need longer than 300mm so even it it was female it's not quite long enough.

So, I went and bought two of these: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...ose+300mm+12+x+12+10mm+Bore/d20/sd2807/p24989 and they are 500mm length.

It is ok to connect the first item (300mm length) from the taps into the second item (500mm female to female) and then straight into the male thread on the existing isolator?

If yes, is there anything else I need to do apart from connect everything together (any PTFE required etc) or if not, can you suggest what else would be better? I need around 600mm length from the taps to the existing isolator

Thanks in advance!

James

Sponsored Links
you can join the two but will be untidy.
i would fit a nut/olive to the existing iso valve then fit a section of copper pipe the length you require then fit your flexis to the new copper pipe extension.

the taps and tails you bought should be fine(they might restrict the flow a little-due to reduction in pipe size in flexis

on top of the isolation valve i imagine you just need a nut and olive, insert a short piece of 15mm copper pipe approx 50mm long with jointing compound into your monoblock tails and into the isolation valve (nut & olive )and tighten this should do the trick

is your isolation valve the same as your 2nd link -item no 36879 Isolating Valve CP 15mm

Hi clearhead,

Yes, the isolation valve is the same as item no 36879

So, either use the flexis, or extend the pipe from the existing isolation valve, straight into a 12mm screw end for the tap?

Thanks,

James

the taps and tails you bought should be fine(they might restrict the flow a little-due to reduction in pipe size in flexis

on top of the isolation valve i imagine you just need a nut and olive, insert a short piece of 15mm copper pipe approx 50mm long with jointing compound into your monoblock tails and into the isolation valve (nut & olive )and tighten this should do the trick

is your isolation valve the same as your 2nd link -item no 36879 Isolating Valve CP 15mm

Sponsored Links
hi james- sorry if not clear put a piece of 15mm pipe from mono flexi tails to your isolation valve as in picture like seco and yourself said
i think when you said 12 you mean 1/2"
best of luck

clearhead when he said 12 i think he's talking about the tap end that has M12 connections. ;)

Thanks guys, all sorted. Extended the copper pipe from the isolator to a point where I could simply connect a flexi straight to it.

Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back