BSP - BSP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had to replace a hand basin tap ...
Old tap had flexible tails connecting to isolation valves ... the flexy connector ends in 1/2" BSP female
New tap has flexy connector ending in 3/8" BSP female
I can find 1/2" BSP Female x 3/8" BSP Male such as
https://tinyurl.com/2p99f9h9

The male end is fine .... but the female end has no internal rubber washer so wouldn't seal onto the isolation valve.
(rough sketch if description not clear)
2n6WCoQ
Tap connector.jpg

Is there a 'name' for such an adapter with a washer ...

Sort of assumed something would exist for this ..... or do I need to swap out isolation valves to ones with a 3/8" BSP female thread.

Sponsored Links
1. You shouldn't be screwing it on to the end of the isolation valves. These valves are compression fitting, and have a relatively sharp edge. Over time this can damage the sealing washer inside the female threaded connector.
2. Use something like Screwfix 6089R. Plain end into isolation valve, 3/8" female adaptor screwed onto other end.
3. You will need nuts and olives to go with the above. Easiest way is to buy a straight 15 mm compression connector and use the two nuts and two olives which come with it. For example, Screwfix 95828. Comes as a 2 pack but you only need one.

>These valves are compression fitting,

No they are not … that is not what is fitted.
The Isolation valves fitted are similar to washing machine valves.
These are not compression fittings.
They are the type you screw a female BSP fitting onto.

The end of the flexy tail is 1/2” female BSP it has a washer inside it, and thus seats onto the end of the isolation valve, exactly the same as a washing machine pipe fits onto their isolation tap.

I may to swap to something else, but that is what is there.

Had to replace a hand basin tap ...
Old tap had flexible tails connecting to isolation valves ... the flexy connector ends in 1/2" BSP female
New tap has flexy connector ending in 3/8" BSP female
I can find 1/2" BSP Female x 3/8" BSP Male such as
https://tinyurl.com/2p99f9h9

The male end is fine .... but the female end has no internal rubber washer so wouldn't seal onto the isolation valve.
(rough sketch if description not clear)
2n6WCoQ
View attachment 263110

Is there a 'name' for such an adapter with a washer ...

Sort of assumed something would exist for this ..... or do I need to swap out isolation valves to ones with a 3/8" BSP female thread.
1. Can you re-use the flexies, or is the tap thread different?

2. If not, use the 1/2" BSP Female x 3/8" BSP Male fitting with thread tape.

Sponsored Links
Thought of that the tap ends are different.
That would mean the 1/2” BSP being ‘water proof’ only by the threads .. too risky I think.
A seal should be either washers on mating face or I will need to change outbthe isolation valves.
So annoying that tap manufacturers can’t use a common size …

If you must use 3/8" swivel nut flexibles then I suggest changing the isolator valve for one with compression ends. Add a short length of 15mm pipe to this, followed by a 15mm compression to 3/8 BSP parallel male, upon which you can directly connect the 3/8 nut (with sealing washer).
If you can change to a flexible with a 1/2" swivel nut then you can use a flat file to remove the isolator's sharp edge and marry the flexi to it directly.

The frexy tails are new, male threads & o-rings suit the tap ..others may not, so will keep them and looks like I'll have to change isolation valves.

The frexy tails are new, male threads & o-rings suit the tap ..others may not, so will keep them and looks like I'll have to change isolation valves.
If the valve is flat ended, as you said in #3, can't you get hold of a rubber or fibre washer?

It's an option ...... proper fitting would have a 'lip to hold washer in place, but loose would work OK.

I wanted to avoid removing the existing service valves, so my solution in the end was:

Fit a 1/2" BSP - 15mm pipe push fit tap connector... either end of a short piece of pipe.
The lower one will connect direct to existing 1/2" BSP male thread on the service valve .... and of course the fitting has a washer included.
The tails came with a 3/8" BSP male to 15mm compression fitting ..... by discarding the nut and olive, I could screw that (1/2" BSP) thread into the end of the Tap connector (as mentioned it has teh sealing washers) and the 3/8" BSP male then screws into end of the Flexy tails
The other end I have a 1/2"BSP male to 3/8"

It's annoying the flexy tails were not 1/2" BSP female which is pretty standard .. using 3/8" BSP just complicated things.
Tap adapt.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back