bsp threads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am puzzeld a bit with parallel and taper threads.

I understand if I have say a 1/2" bsp parallel female and a 1/2" bsp parallel male, then I will need a washer of some type on a seat to effect a seal.

If I have a 1/2" bsp taper female and a 1/2" bsp taper male, then with some thread tape I should be able to get a good seal, I assume.

So where does say a 1/2" bsp parallel female and a 1/2" bsp taper male fit into the scheme of things? Does it mean the taper will fit further into the fitting before giving a seal?

Are there advantages or disadvatages in mixing tapers and parallels?

I ask this because I was looking at a catalogue of parts and for a gas wall connector (leading to a 1/2" bsp taper male cooker bayonet outlet) available as 1/2" bsp female parallel and taper, it states that "British Gas specify parallel"

Sponsored Links
......do you just cut and paste this type of answer on the assumption you understand the authors agenda?
If you choose not to answer the query that's ok, but why blunder in when your chances of reading the situation correctly, on the limited information given, mean you will likely be wrong. You may be an excellent plumber, stick with it.

Sponsored Links
chill out Kev, now you are starting to answer questions that have not been asked

kevplumb said:
aah now the light goes on
:evil:
12-29-03.sf-blackout-1.jpg

Is that you kev? :LOL:

Are you having a bad day kev? What's the problem with answering the questions asked in the original post?

masona
i thought id lost that pic :LOL: never thought that wall would hold a combi

oilman
nothing just get the feeling im being wound up :evil:
every day is a bad day if im not working

kevplumb said:
.......just get the feeling im being wound up.....

You and BACHO spend all your time thinking you're being wound up. If you get a suspect question, just answer it, the wind up merchants will get bored with it. If they see you take the bait all the time, they'll keep fishing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back