bsp threads

Sponsored Links
well not really Kev, a female thread which is parallel will almost certainly be finished off with a parallel tap (plug). Similarly a parallel male thread can be formed so that most of the thread is parallel, depending on what form of die is used.

No I was not trying to wind you up, just curious as to the technicalities of applying these threads.

I don't fully understand your answer about more leeway with a taper. Do you mean that if you fit a male taper into a female parallel, say on the previous application of a bayonet outlet, you would have an easier job of getting it facing downward when tight......as opposed to two taper threads coming together and locking up tight before you can face the outlet at the correct position?

If so the advantage of a taper/taper joint would be a better seal, and the advantage of a taper/parallel joint would be slight flexibility with positional assemblies.

As I understand it (the correct grade of) PTFE tape can be used to seal either joint and you do not HAVE to use hemp and paste. Is this correct?

right before this goes any further i obviously owe you an apology :oops:
yes you get a bit more leeway with taper into parrallel
i always use hemp cos thats what i was tought
the apprentice uses ptfe and it usually p*sses out
your male thread (allegedly )needs two full threads cut before it constitutes a seal but you still have a taper on the end
unlike stocks and dies these things aint adjustable
well not now
any more questions throw your hat in the ring marra
again i apologise
(one p*ick spoils it for everybody) :cry:

The tapered thread stems from pipe work where high pressure are used. Generally threads are parallel until it comes to pipe work. The tolerances are such that parallel threads can leave considerable clearances and an easy escape route and is not really suitable. Steam at 150 lbs sq in. is fairly powerful.The tapered thread is applied to the male thread on the pipe end while the coupling is parallel. The clearance is reduced as the pipe is screwed in and a much better seal is achieved. Using a tapered female would improve it further but to mass produce couplings tapered from both ends would mean very high cost.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Strange but true....
BSP threads and Imperial pipe sizes are used for steel pipe and brass fittings all over Europe, including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland and probably others too.
I guess Metric standard threads are too fine for pipework. Or maybe each country decided individually that changing to Metric was too much hassle so that we were the only ones that actually changed (copper tube sizes).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back