Monoblock mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I know this has been asked befor plenty of times but trawling through the search left me slightly confused.
I have just replaced my kitchen sink and fitted a new monoblock mixer tap as below.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/moretti-d...ap/20147#product_additional_details_container

Do I need check valves on this ?

The system is mains pressure cold and I think high pressure hot. The hot tank is directly fed from mains cold. The tank is a meggaflo tank if that helps.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The advantage of check valves is so you can isolate the supply to the taps without having to turn the water off to the whole house should you ever need to repair or replace them so fitting check valves is advisable in my view. It also makes sure you can still fill a kettle from the bathroom for the plumber !!

My understanding is that check valves are non return valves and would be fitted to prevent water from the higher pressure side running into the lower pressure side.

Is what you have described not an isolation valve ?

The question is, do they apply in my case with the hot being high pressure ?
I'm also not too sure if the mono block I have fitted will have check valves built in

Sponsored Links
The only reason you would consider putting any form of valve prior to the tap is for maintenance reasons.

With a mixer tap, it is strongly advised, as they do sometimes need to be repaired.

A non-return valve is exactly what it says on the tin, when water has passed through, it will not be able to go back the other way.

You only really need two isolation valves, but some people like to use NR's.

Yes, check valve = non-return valve.

As your hot and cold supplies are balanced, ie. both mains pressure, don't bother with check valves. Just put isolation valves on the 2 supply pipes to the tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back