Monoblock tap leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a complete DIY novice and so any advice with this problem would be much appreciated.

Our kitchen tap is dripping from the end of the tap (not the base or anything). I removed the tap head to see if the washers needed replacing. There are two O ring type washers at the base of the tap head, but they both seem fine.

What I wish to know is: What could be causing the leak? Are there any washers elsewhere that might need renewal? Do I need to get inside the main body of the tap and if so, how do I do this? If you look at the photos (sorry, poor quality) there appears to be no way of removing the main tap body without going underneath the sink and unscrewing it from below, which as I understand it, will require a special long plumber's spanner.

It is possible to remove a nodule on each handle of the tap (see 3rd photo) but I can't see how this would enable me to get inside the tap any further. Perhaps somebody here has removed this type of tap and might know another way besides going beneath the sink.

Thanks in advance!

GALLERY]
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

somebody else had this problem on this type pf tap the other day.

Turn off your hot and cold supplies before doing this, so you dont get sprayed.

You can take off the little arms on the taps head, you may need a small allen key to do it.

Then under one of those I beleive will be another grub screw deeper down.
From what I gather this will then let you take the tap heads off to change the washers inside.

Hope that helps

Rico

Thanks Rico, I will have a look and see if there are any screws within the tap heads themselves.

Quick question.

Did the swinging arm simply pull off?

EDIT never mind. Reading further I think I need to lift and turn until I hit a keyway

Sponsored Links
When you say the drip is from the end of the tap do you mean the spout where the water comes out from or at the joint between the swivel arm and the main tap body?

If the spout end then you will need new complete new hot & cold cartridges for the tap. Hope you know what make & model it is. ;)

If at the swivel joint then the two o-rings in your first pic will need to be replaced as they are worn (even though they may "seem fine") Should be able to get replacement ones from your local plumber's merchant.

When you say the drip is from the end of the tap do you mean the spout where the water comes out from or at the joint between the swivel arm and the main tap body?

If the spout end then you will need new complete new hot & cold cartridges for the tap. Hope you know what make & model it is. ;)

If at the swivel joint then the two o-rings in your first pic will need to be replaced as they are worn (even though they may "seem fine") Should be able to get replacement ones from your local plumber's merchant.

Shambles - I had to undo a small screw at the base of the swan neck and then it just pulled off.

Giblets - The drip is from the spout end. What do you mean by hot & cold cartridges? Do I definitely need to replace these, and if so could you please spare another minute or so to explain how I would go about this? I'm completely clueless when it comes to DIY.

Many thanks in advcance,

Ben

Edit: Also I do not know what make and model the tap is? Does this mean I have no choice but to buy a new tap?

Shambles - I had to undo a small screw at the base of the swan neck and then it just pulled off.

Giblets, thanks for the further info - The drip is from the spout end. What do you mean by hot & cold cartridges? Do I definitely need to replace these, and if so could you please spare another minute or so to explain how I would go about this? I'm completely clueless when it comes to DIY!

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

Edit: Also I do not know what make and model the tap is? Does this mean I have no choice but to buy a new tap?

Cartridge is what stops water getting TO the spout so if you have drip from spout then change cartridge. Work out which cartridge is faulty: switch cold off - does drip stop? Try same with hot. Then you can just buy the one cartridge rather than two (unless retailer sells in pairs).

You can take off the hot and cold handles somehow (the silver bits that turn with your hand, left and right). Usually you remove something that cosmetically hides a bolt head. Then you unscrew a bolt. Then the tap head pulls off (can reply really good tug if been on for years). Under here is a brass thing called a cartridge. Cartridge unscrews from main tap with a spanner.

Often one is lucky and the cartridge is a standard one you can find in B&Q. Other wise try plumber's merchants. There is also a place online www.lunns.net. If still struggling then replace tap.

All above work is with hot and cold water OFF.

Note: I have cleaned a cartridge and replaced it and it has stopped the drip (piece of grit). Usually have to change though. Also some cartridges you can just change the rubber washer.

Cartridge is what stops water getting TO the spout so if you have drip from spout then change cartridge. Work out which cartridge is faulty: switch cold off - does drip stop? Try same with hot. Then you can just buy the one cartridge rather than two (unless retailer sells in pairs).

You can take off the hot and cold handles somehow (the silver bits that turn with your hand, left and right). Usually you remove something that cosmetically hides a bolt head. Then you unscrew a bolt. Then the tap head pulls off (can reply really good tug if been on for years). Under here is a brass thing called a cartridge. Cartridge unscrews from main tap with a spanner.

Often one is lucky and the cartridge is a standard one you can find in B&Q. Other wise try plumber's merchants. There is also a place online www.lunns.net. If still struggling then replace tap.

All above work is with hot and cold water OFF.

Note: I have cleaned a cartridge and replaced it and it has stopped the drip (piece of grit). Usually have to change though. Also some cartridges you can just change the rubber washer.

Cheers for advice Goldspoon. I managed to identify the hot cartridge as the culprit now. I took it to Plumbase to see if I can get a replacement but they tell me that there's no way of telling what type it is and so I have to get a new tap!

Worse than this though - In re-fitting the cartridge (just as a stop gap until I buy a new tap) the hot water now does not turn off at all. I swear I was careful when I removed the cartridge but I must have done something. Hot water just gushes through, and turning the tap head does very little. The only way to now turn hot water off it to do so at isolator valve. I could cope with a dripping tap but this is a nightmare!!

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem, until I can get a new tap fitted?

Again any advice much appreciated, and thanks to all who've offered advice so far.

are the cermic disc cartdirgdes in correctly, are the discs matching?! i had this problem a while ago, they need to align 100% or water passes through the tap even when turned off!! - the rubber/nylon washer at the bottom of the cartridge (s) also has to be in tight and the right way round or water will again pass (although yours is worn anyway).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back