More ceiling lights...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
to install a new ceiling/wall light, can a cable be run and ended at the light fitting, or does the new wiring have to continue from the light fitting back to the existing loop (to complete a circuit).

So, from loop to light and back to loop?
Or, from loop to light?

It will be switched, but it is the concept in which I'm interested.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
I must be a bit thick today, but I've confused what you've stated and what the diagram shows.

The diagram from your link (light hanging down from ceiling) shows the cabling terminating at that light fitting.

So, can I tap into existing loop and run a spur to a switched light fitting (without having to continue *that* cabling back to the loop?)

I hope the question makes sense? Maybe its just so obvious that I can't see it, but I've run some new cabling in our low-pitched ceiling and really don't want to go back up until I've got my facts straight :))

ripvan said:
I must be a bit thick today, but I've confused what you've stated and what the diagram shows.

The diagram from your link (light hanging down from ceiling) shows the cabling terminating at that light fitting.

So, can I tap into existing loop and run a spur to a switched light fitting (without having to continue *that* cabling back to the loop?)

yes

Sponsored Links
A lighting circuit is fed first to one light ,then a cable continues to the next one and so on until you run out of lights. The last light will not have any out going cable.
It is now a matter of choice, if your new light is near the last one of the run take the cable from there , if not, you can break into any part of the lighting cables between lights and insert a 3 terminal junction box and run a cable to your new ceiling rose

thanks MANDATE....clear enough for my fuddled brain to grasp it.

For some reason I had it in mind that each (series) of light(s) had to return to the main loop. I ran enough cable to do that and then for the life of me couldn't figure out what to do with all the cable ends, lol.

Thanks also to breezer. I note that the two of you help to keep we amateur electricians alive :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back