More Damaged Cable....Grrrr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, guys, firstly thanks for the advise in one of my earlier posts regarding the immersion heater wiring... replaced the whole link from heater to 20M mcb, and all work a treat....

Anyways... Upon further removal of old tiles, and then onto floor boards ive discovered more damaged cable.

Theres a 2.5 and a 1.5 that both seem to have been damaged by who ever installed the central heating system. (seesm to me like they not been very carfull with there soldering flame...)

both are melted outer covers, but upon inspection i dont think its gone right through to the cores... even tho the cable feels brittle.

What i was going to do is cut out the damaged areas and junction box them back together.... Whats your thaughts on this bearing in mind it will be under a bathroom wooden floor, which will later be tiled.

Should I use special junction boxes? or notmal ones ok?

Im just thinking moisture here... maybe im being over cautious

Thank in advance guys..

Sponsored Links
If junction boxes are used they should be accessible. In time joints in junction boxes can become loose or be a source of faults (much wiring stays in place for 30 years+)
In your case you should connect new piece of cable using the correct size crimps and cover over the joint with heat-shrink sleeving.

what kind of crimps will i need, any pointers?

im more concerened about the waterproof element of this.... is there such a thing as a waterproof junction box?

Many thanks

MasterAbacus said:
what kind of crimps will i need, any pointers?

im more concerened about the waterproof element of this.... is there such a thing as a waterproof junction box?

Many thanks

Blue crimps, but you really want a ratchet crimper

there is such a thing as a waterproof jb, but its not required and extortionate

Sponsored Links
am i right in thinking the crimps we are talking about are bullet type crimps?

If that the case i already have a rachet crimper for these....

and the blue is the bigger ones... ie for 2.5mm cable?

Same for the 1.5? or smaller?

not bullet no. (they look like a small tube, one core goes in at each end)

and also no

blue are for2.5 red is not

CTBUTTSLASHB.JPG

just found this pic for you

Put heat shrink sleeve over the joint (before you crimp it!) crimp the connections, test it works then use hair dryer to shrink the sleeving over the junction. That should suit you, Oh :D

thanks for the info peeps.... I got the Crimps red and blue, so will hope to sort it within the next few days.

One last quick one tho.... when i put the cable in the crimps, do i use it a single strand or fold it over? and then crimp each cable in turn...ie 2 crimpings, or overlap and one crimping.???

Mant thanks.

is there any reason you couldn't use bullet crimps? would make changing stuff later a lot easier than with through crimps and they seem to be rated to mains voltage (at least the ones sold by farnell are).

Job done....

Fitted Blue to 2.5, and red to 1.5,

Used heat shrink over connectors, and also fitted em into chock block boxes for extra safty...

Thanks for help all....

Just out of interest and future reference whats the purpose of the heat shrink?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back