More than one pass when HVLP doors with latex paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Is it okay to do more than one pass with a HVLP gun? After a steep learning curve I think I'm almost there but wondering if I'm drying out the paint by doing more than one pass.

I'm using a 3 stage Apollo 1500 with 2mm tip. I'm diluting Dulux Trade quick drying gloss with around 65% water and 20% Floetrol. I've had some of the famous orange peel effect so keeping it nice and thin which seems workable. I'm trying to keep the flow of paint to a minimal as well so to maximise atomisation. I have the doors laid flat and trying to get a nice even sheen by doing multiple passes with some pause of a minute or two between and then drying with a fan afterwards. I say the fan is the best thing ever for nice even drying.

Any comments or pointers appreciated. Especially regarding the paint I'm using, not sure if there's a better one to use perhaps.

Sponsored Links
You can always thin with warmer water and use slightly less. This will thin it without destroying its covering capabilities.

You can always thin with warmer water and use slightly less. This will thin it without destroying its covering capabilities.

I'll give that a go. I mix my paint with water and Floetrol the day before just because I've had problems with air bubbles when doing it the same day. I give it a light stir before use however I've heard of recently placing the scuttle in warm water helps to warm it up.

You can get paint warmers, although a cheap croc pot casserole warmer does the same thing and can be picked up cheap. If it can be thinned by heat rather than adding something into the paint it will keep more of its covering properties.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @opps I'll take a look. Yes, I had a play with warming the premixed paint up in a bucket of hot water. I was able to add much more paint my doing so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back