Suggestion for paint for kitchen cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago I picked up some Dulux Trade Satinwood water-based by mistake (I usually go for oil-based), and was really happy with the results - first time I've used water-based.

I now have some kitchen cabinets to paint (doors and shelves) and can't decide on the best paint to use. I gather oil-based should be more hard-wearing? I see that Dulux also do a 'Cupboard Paint' which they reckon is 10 times tougher than their water-based satins. It's Dulux Retail though, rather than Trade, and I know that a lot of the gimmicky retail paints (eg one-coat, non-drip, etc) don't give a great finish.

Has anyone used the Dulux Cupboard Paint? Any other suggestions for a suitable paint? I'm after a mid-sheen finish

Sponsored Links
The only cupboard paint I have ever used was international melamine and MDF paint. It was very good stuff, had the kitchen for 5 years after with no chips to the paint work.
No idea if you can still get this or not but b&q sold it back then.

You will need a melamine primer then paint in whatever undercoat and topcoat you wish.

we have re-painted our entire kitchen in rustoleum satin wood paint. no need to sand down prior just slap on.

Sponsored Links
I just done our kitchen doors and used Farrow And Ball Eggshell (exterior), Can get interior .but the exterior is harder wearing and washable.
Used a small roller to put on .Turned out great

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back