Mortar around UPVC window falling out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Looking for some advice on how best approach repairing external pointing / seal around front window.
It looks like previous owners have attempted a mixture of foam, weak / crumbly mortar and silicon and nothing at the top. Some areas around has foam behind thin layer of mortar, other there appears to be a cavity. Inside the window seems to be fine and dry.
IMG_1484.jpg
IMG_1485.jpg
IMG_1486.jpg
IMG_1487.jpg
IMG_1488.jpg

My concern is that with just replacing with mortar again is that expansion / contraction may mean mortar just falls out. But using all silicon will look messy.

Appreciate some suggestions on how best to repair. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would re-cement and then silicone once it has set.
PVC trims and silicone would be the quicker and easier option though

Thanks. Any thoughts of cement / sand mix ratio?
I was tempted to use some pre-mix but the time I previously used pre-mix it was a darker grey colour.

Sponsored Links
I would probably just go for yellow sand and cement (grey when gone off) maybe a little yellow mortar dye in it.
I would probably get slated by the builders but I always go for a 3/1 mix.

If you want tips for a really good match/mix you may be better off asking on the builder forum but its such a small amount and you have a few colours there anyway as long as its troweled up neat it will look good.
Personally I masking tape a straight edge (brick and window) for nice straight edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back