Mortar/sealant around uPVC DG units - best practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of my uPVC DG units are allowing the passage of air, noise and possibly insects. I'll start a different thread about building up the interior. as I'm waiting for application notes from the tape vendors, still vacuuming out insect detritus and waiting for ACDs from an architect friend.
Externally, some of the mortar is gone and some of the frame sealant expansion beads are gone too. I assume the mortar acts as an airtightness barrier and the frame sealant is to allow for expansion and contraction due to climatic conditions.

[Edit: Oh I see they have mortared right up to the frame, then applied a filleted bead of frame sealant around the interface perimeter. Is that correct? The sitting room window was a separate installation (Everest by the looks of it) and is intact].

What is the best way to *neatly* replace the ext seal ?

Mortar first then frame sealant?
Frame sealant first then mortar?

I was thinking of pulling, the frame sealant out, chipping the mortar out.
Placing a temporary bead (6mm strip of ply) against the frames, a strip of making tape further out to define the margins
Mortar between the tape and bead with a margin trowel.
Remove plywood bead. Remove masking tape
Allow mortar to dry.
Fill in the gap with frame sealant.

Many thanks.
I'll be out and about working so might not see responses promptly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back