Mortice deadlock - no key!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house with an internal door in to the garage. The previous owners didn't leave a key for this door, is there any way to get the lock out without a key or is this a job only a locksmith can do?

Sponsored Links
If not, please post photographs of both sides of the door.

Include closeups of the hinges, keyholes, and of the lock position, showing the size of the gap between door and jamb on the opening side.

Have you contacted the vendors and asked for the key?

Show us the key, and the forend, of the back door lock. Sometimes it is similar or identical to the garage lock. In well-planned homes it works on the same key.

Can you lay your hands on an angle-grinder?

We can open the door fortunately.

The vendors told us all the keys for the property were left with the estate agent. They left the house in a terrible state, to the point they even left dirty cat litter and dirty nappies plus two car loads of their possessions for us to dispose of. We aren't sure what we did to upset them, but if they do still have the key we won't be getting it back from them!!

I'll take some pics in the morning :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you can open the door it is easy.

Undo the two screws in the forend and pull it out. You may have to lever it at first. Start with a screwdriver through the keyhole, then at the top and bottom of the forend plate.

Photograph whatever words and numbers are stamped on the end. Photograph both sides of the lock, and measure it, all round including thickness, accurately, to within a sixteenth of an inch.

There is a good chance we will recognise it. If you know the probable age that will help. Look at the back door lock, and try the key, in case it is the same, before removing it. If it looks similar, photograph the key.

Example of lock measurement

Be precise because you want one that will be an exact fit replacement.

e11467b_tech.jpg

If you get the lock out, any decent locksmith will cut you a key for it but as said by Herts P&D, bearing in mind the previous tenants, I’d change the whole lot to be on the safe side.

Photos will help.

One thing that concerns me is that if you have a lock that uses cylinders, you might not be able to remove the cylinder if you don't have a key. If you can't remove the cylinder, you won't be able to remove the lock.

If the lock uses a "flat" key it will be a cylinder lock, if it is a chub type key, it won't be and you can follow the advice given.

I would suggest you change all the exterior door locks.

Andy
We thought the same, all the other locks were changed immediately. The locksmith that changed all those for us said the garage door would be cheaper to do ourselves, I suspect he just couldn't be bothered to do it!

Here are a few pictures. I think it's as described by JohnD. I'll take a couple of screwdrivers to it tonight after work

Attachments

• 2D9D072C-DF0B-491C-966A-58AC69B2110A.jpeg
    2D9D072C-DF0B-491C-966A-58AC69B2110A.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 8B7C95B1-89C3-429D-A6EE-F282D3EBA122.jpeg
    8B7C95B1-89C3-429D-A6EE-F282D3EBA122.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 58
  • A9F395E0-04CD-4817-8068-5D2E70A3157A.jpeg
    A9F395E0-04CD-4817-8068-5D2E70A3157A.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 64
  • 14A24828-CF9B-4DBF-8536-1BC9053F9F98.jpeg
    14A24828-CF9B-4DBF-8536-1BC9053F9F98.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 63
The red plate is simply a cover plate and can be pulled off to expose the lock mechanism.

One of the door handles has to come off. Typically an Allen key is needed to loosen a samll screw at the bottom of the round plate (or in the handle itself)

Sfk

Last edited:
I don't know what others think, but as the door is between the garage and house (if complying with current regs), it should be a fire door.
Door could be a fire door, as could the locks. So maybe just new fire rated locks required?

Door could be a fire door, as could the locks. So maybe just new fire rated locks required?
Yes, wasn't suggesting replacing the door!
Was just trying to say, that if the door was a fire door, the lock should probably conform to a certain standard, rather than just picking any old mortice lock off the shelf! :)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back