Mortice lock bolt stuck out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The painter painted over my mortice lock bolt in an interior door. The lock has not be used for a few years. Eventually after a lot of cleaning and wd40 I got the bolt to pop out, but it was very stiff. Luckily the door was open.

Now the darn bolt will not go back in . When I try and turn the key and use some hand pressure on the bolt, it still will not go back in. I have laced the lock with WD40 and will try tomorrow.

The lock is not essential,

what do you think has happened? Perhaps the sides of the bolt are still gumed up with paint, but it feels like an internal thing.If posible, can anyone give me a good link to a pic that shows all the lock parts as its double dutch to me.

I fancy taking a hammer to the bolt to shove it back; might it work?

Sponsored Links
be careful if you do,if your going to do this make sure youve got the key in and when YOU GENTLY TAP TURN THE KEY AT THE SAME TIME,or you could just take the cover plate off and give it a good scrape of all the paint and put it back.

be careful if you do,if your going to do this make sure youve got the key in and when YOU GENTLY TAP TURN THE KEY AT THE SAME TIME,or you could just take the cover plate off and give it a good scrape of all the paint and put it back.

Thanks for reply

If only I'd have known the trouble it would cause, I would have just left it.
o well

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back