Adding locks to old aluminium doors when nothing will fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a couple of aluminium doors, one single rear door and a double porch door.

I have been trying to find replacement locks and John D has provided me with some very useful links, but I could not find anything that will fit.

So, I'd like to ask for some guidance on adding locks to old aluminium doors.

The main problem I have is that, unlike wooden doors, you don't have a solid body that you can just cut out a new location for the lock to fit into. Instead the original locks have specific fixing points, of course.

I considered bolts attached to the frame, but I need something, front and back that I can lock externally, but with the lock body internal.

That lead me to wonder if something like these garage bolts could be repurposed as internal bolts that can be locked from the outside.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075QHDK29

I though I could put one top and bottom on each door. For the single door, the bolt would go into the wall, and on the double door I would have to add a keep for the bolt. They would be in these locations.

vMvv7vfh.png

SuPA7gJh.png

I would have to drill three holes for each lock, two for the bolts and one for the key hole.

Does that seem like a reasonable idea? Are there any lock that are especially designed for this? Alternatively, is there a good way to add firm fixing positions locks within the frame, so that new locks can be added?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back