Mortice lock opened but still locked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help my front door, I believe it has an mortice lock from what i've seen on the net but that's about all i know.

Came home a few days ago put key in and turned till it gone all way round into the unlocked position went to turn handle to open and cant :?:
Locked solid :evil:

I've tried all i can think of to open it but nothings working. I'm now thinking i'm going to drill it open, is it easy? I can't afford a locksmith so that's out the picture.
Here's what i've tried

Wiggling key
pushing/pulling/lifting/pushing down door as turning key
WD40
Putting thin screw driver in gap and tapping the lock
Doing as above and hitting hard
Swearing
Throwing screwdriver and hammer at the door
Kicking it

Any advice very much needed please :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sponsored Links
Have you got into the house?

Try unlocking from the inside or try another key.

Sometimes it will only work when a new key has been cut.

Post some pictures.

Andy

Pics please

Assuming its a wooden door and there is a gap big enough to see the lock bolts then the least destructive option is probably going to be a small angle grinder with a 2mm metal cutting blade. Chop off the bolts and fit a new lock.

Don't forget some goggles

Yeh! pic please, need to ascertain door material, any advantages etc. ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Hi

Yes we have a back door we are using.
Have tried unlocking from both sides also tried unlocking from one side while my son's wiggled, pushed and pulled from the other.

When trying to turn key there's no give in the bolt part at all, sometimes if somethings stuck you can see slight movement but it doesn't, it's as if it's fused.

Pictures on way, although there's not much to see apart from a handle remove that and its just a hole for key

So! when the key unlocks (but door still remains stuck) do you actually feel the resistance of the locking mechanism and the bolt with drawing?
If yes then I would suggest if your inside now (via another route) put a crowbar or wedge between the door edge and post in the unlocked position as the sticking bit will be small. If no then get back to us...pinenot :)

Now i'm no expert on keys but that to me looks like a key for a 3 lever lock?

If it is 3 levers are the easiest locks to open

It is a Legge key and hopefully a Legge lock.
Next step, take of the handle and post a picture of the area where the key hole is. I can see something in the key way. You should be able to see no obstuctions. The colour of the lock case will give a clue to what version of Legge lock it is.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Last time we used the key it turned easily about the same as any normal time I would say looking back no i didn't feel the bolt part move and the door is in a unlocked position but the bolt is still out making it locked.

The key wont budge the bolt tried turning it to unlock and lock but it's stuck, not even a tiniest bit of movement as i can just see the bolt between the door and frame.

I've no idea if it's a 3 lever lock.
I took the picture slightly looking down and from the side to the handle so all that's inside is the side of the lock wall thing. it's completely clear inside.

The bolt and panel is a brass colour and if you remove handle all you see is the shape where the key goes in and a brass coloured long thing for turning handle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back