Mortice lock opened but still locked

Sponsored Links
Tell you what I try first, take off the handles and take a lever (large screwdriver or similar) and try to force the whole lock back in the pocket, to see if it will move...pinenot :)

You can't just go drilling holes all over the lock case as you'll just clog up the levers a bolt with swarf and you still won't open it, you'd still need a pick pushed into the key hole and fiddled until it moved the bolt over, if it had a curtain then i think it would be easier as you'd have to turn it with a screwdriver

The locksmith that taught me (a friend of Jason the locksmith from the series 'paddington green' on TV a few years back) gave me a copy of his templates he made, just like the one in your picture, DC will know what i'm talking about when i say for example '20mm up 8mm across' :LOL:

Now i'm no fully time served locksmith so sometimes i had to go for the destructive route rather than get all my books out, make measurements, drill one hole and hey presto so what i'd do is get a hole saw that is no wider than the handle backplate, i'd drill between the keyhole and spindle right through the lock case (assuming its not a BS lock with a hardened case) and i'd expose all the levers and bolt, fish out all the swarf and bits and bobs and then just push the bolt over to unlock, effectively bypassing what you'd be doing by drilling out the 'bolt stump' those holes show you the position of, technically you'd identify which lock you have fitted by what you can see of it when you've taken the handle off eg lock case colour/markings/rivets etc etc, then you'd find the correct template and mark the door and drill..............just for your information i never got one right lol!!!

"i never got one right lol!!!"
That made me laugh crank.
I think what I am looking at is older version of the British Standard sash lock. (The photos could have been better).
As such it will have hard plate covering the vital area and a normal HSS drill bit will not take you through it.
At this stage my best guess is that the lock bolt is free to move to the unlocked position. So try turning the lock curtain with a small screwdriver. Turn it towards the unlocked position. Repeat a number of times.
The lock curtain is the silver coloured part that surrounds the keyway.
DC

Sponsored Links
To open the door you will need:

1mm angle grinder cutting disc
Small angle grinder
Goggles.

The door will be opened within 30 seconds.

Andy

"i never got one right lol!!!"
That made me laugh crank.

Most of my call outs were in the small hours, being woken up by a call centre at 3am, quickly getting dressed and driving upto an hour in some cases to gain entry for someone, oh how i drempt that it was a pvc door when i got there and not some BS standard deadlock with an ingersoll night latch that had been deadlocked itself arghhh, your torch just went flat, you position your van and shine you headlights to see what your doing.......i look back now and laugh, its hardly suprising i never got one right lol!

Mickey mouse a yale lock easy
Slipping a yale easy again
Euro profile cylinders - do em in my sleep

BS deadlock, BS mortice sashlocks and BS yales........erm not so good!!!

12 years on call out while having already worked during the day eventually caught up with me and i chucked it in, don't miss it one bit, at least i get a good nights sleep now!

Yes i already said it's the original wooden door and lock that was installed when the house was built over 20 years ago.

Pic was taken on my old mobile as left my new one at my mothers, if you tell me what you need to look at i can post more/better pictures but all i see is a hole where a key goes and a long metal bit for handle, that's it. There's no panel or anything.

I tried putting a screwdriver in and turning it but it wont turn. I tried hitting the door with a hammer to see if it would loosen anything but nope, nothing.

The idea of a grinder thing is a little worrying, if you mean put that between door and frame to cut through bolt it's not going to fit.

I really need the door back in action asap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back