Mortice Sashlock and door handle quick Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok a quick question. Going to be fitting a mortice shashlock to one of my doors, nothing to BS standard as its not a main door or anything. Anway I was looking at getting this one from screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87514...Sterling-5-Lever-Mortice-Sashlock-Nickel-2-5#

and then was thinking if it would be possible to use this as the handle:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15539...ium-Range/Lock-Door-Handle-Contract-Aluminium

What I wanted to know is will this line up? and are they standard size from the barrel to the keyhole? From the drawing they say its 57mm but havent got a schematic for the mortice lock to check...
Also where would you use a 2 1/2" and a 3" Is there a specific reason?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The 64mm (2.5") quoted on the lock is the backset which is the distance from the edge of the lock or door to the centre of the handle. Whether the handle and lock will line up should be easy enough to check since you are getting them both from the same place.

HTH

Alan

OK cheers for clearing that up. I just wanted to make sure before I buy from screwfix as you cant tell until you bought it. I went into the local B&Q and measured them up the sizes and they look like standard sizes so hopefully should be OK.

those aluminium handles are not very smart

especially when they go dull

64mm is the width of the lock case, the backset is 44mm this can be a prob if you have fire resistand doors with the deep stop, some knobs and handles with a big rose can be a tight fit, but your chosen style will be OK. The 3" sizes give you just a bit more room. Lever handles need less finger-room than knobs.

Sponsored Links
These wont really be seen so just want a bog standard one. Also will be putting another mortice sashlock for the front door and this will be a BS standard one:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/77986...m;jsessionid=XGAPK0ZFHGRJECSTHZOSFEY?ts=43105

But I'm not sure what type to use as a front door handle, its got a grotty old door knob on it at the moment, but was looking at this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/74185...m;jsessionid=XGAPK0ZFHGRJECSTHZOSFEY?ts=43105

however not sure how suitable it would be for a front door and how it would hold up to the wear and tear of a front door...

plated brass will last well (use matching screws, but use a steel screw while trying the fit)

The 80mm lock you show will need a good solid door with a deep stile, but would enable you to fit a brass knob if you prefer. Depends if you prefer a traditional or a post-modernist look. The Chubb is also available in 67mm case.

However not many people use sashlocks on the front door, unless you are the sort of person who leaves the front door unlocked all the time.

It is more usual to fit a deadlock 1/3rd up, and a nightlatch 1/3rd down, and use the nightlatch while you are at home.

As far as I know, there are no decent deadlocking mortice latches at reasonable price that meet the BS.

Well I wanted to put a sashlock in to kill two birds with one stone so to speak... The normal mortice knob is on its way out and thought I'd add another bit of security to the front door, so a sashlock would tick both them boxes.
I already have a nightlatch, and the front door is a solid victorian style door. Just wasn't sure on what kind of handle to use and whether the one I linked to would be suitable.

OK just checked the dimensions of my door, and its 50mm thick... Will a standard spindle fit this size as the ones I see go up to 45mm?

Also any tips on reinforcing the door frame where the sashlock is going to be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back