Mosaic mesh adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We would like to create a mosaic border for the edge of the bathroom. In consultation with BAL we have purchased the single part fast flex which we will use with admix ad1, and recommended as a deep bed solid bed application. The tiles are not as small as most of the ready made mesh mosaic sheets, but probably too small to easily lay in a deep bed adhesive (and they are the same thickness as the rest of the floor tiles so need the same thickness of bed).

So we are looking at getting some of the mosaic mesh and making up mesh sections ourselves to help with the laying of the tiles.

I was going to get the non adhesive mesh, but the only recommendation I can find for how to attach the tiles to it is with PVA and I was concerned this would not retain adhesion with the tile adhesive underneath.

What glue should I use to attach the tiles to the mesh? Or is it just better to pay the extra cost for self adhesive mesh?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Your right to be concerned about using standard PVA, it remain water soluble. You can get waterproof PVA & that should be fine;
http://www.wickes.co.uk/waterproof-pva-building-adhesive/invt/156521/?source=123_4

Personally it seems overkill to me, I would not go to all that bother. It may take a little time & patience but you should easily be ably to fix the mosaics without resorting to sticking them onto a mesh first; mixing the addy a little thicker (but not too thick) will help but once the addy goes off they should be fine.

I appreciate BAL recommended you the SPFF but it’s extremely expensive stuff; unless you have an extremely dodgy floor, it seems way OTT for a mosaic border most of which probably won’t be walked on or subjected to much loading & why the AD1?

What type of floor do you have? What size/type are the main floor tiles? What addy did BAL recommend for those?

Hi richard,

That addy is for the main floor not specifically the mosaic border, and also the kitchen floor (wihich is going to be large slate) both onto ply on joists, no noticeable deflection, but the addy was what bal recommended for that situation. We wondered if it was overkill, but compared to the cost of the tiles the addy was only a fraction of total.spend.

Main tiles.in bathroom are 150mm fully vitrified ceramic squares.

Was mistaken bout the admix, thats for the grout!

Have found advise from a mosaic artist too who also recommended waterproof pva and gave instructions on how to glue them on. Its a pretty complex geometric pattern so think the mesh might help make sure it is spot on, and also makes.it much easier to lay out dry. As a diy job dont mind the time for increasing the ease when messing about with the addy!

Cheers!

Using SPFF is going to cost you small fortune; I would have thought SPF or even Rapidset with AD1 mix coupled with an Epoxy grout (for mosaics) would be more than adequate unless you have an extremely dodgy floor.

What thickness of ply have you used in the bathroom & the kitchen? I hope you used WBP & not standard ply? Did you seal the underside & edges?

Sponsored Links
if you have already bought the spff..then use that.. ;)

its good stuff... ;)

p.s get your lay out first,before fixing tiles.

Yeah, its already bought, its for the whole floor.not just the mosaic bit. And the kitchen floor.too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back