Moss problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a continual moss problem over most of the North face of our pitched tile roof. It’s far worse at this time of year & feeding birds dislodge great chunks of it which keep blocking up the gutters. We are rural & I was told the problem was caused by a large Ash tree around 50 meters from the house but felling is not an option I would consider.

I have just seen an advertising feature for a product called “Copper Ridge” – basically a copper bar fixed under the ridge. I know that copper is used to good effect in some boat hull anti-fouling paints but has anyone any experience if this product works? Does anyone have experience of other treatments that work?

Sorry, don't know how it happened but this has ended up on the wrong forum. Sorry mod can't see any way of moving it, will leave it to you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blimey, that was quick; thanks!

It "ended up in the wrong forum" because it is where you posted it.
But as you can see I have moved it.

Sponsored Links
Yes the copper strip works ,but don’t be thinking it will work straight away it takes time .
Its best to get the roof cleaned off at the same time you fit the copper strip

Richard C said:
We have a continual moss problem over most of the North face of our pitched tile roof. It’s far worse at this time of year & feeding birds dislodge great chunks of it which keep blocking up the gutters. We are rural & I was told the problem was caused by a large Ash tree around 50 meters from the house but felling is not an option I would consider.

I have just seen an advertising feature for a product called “Copper Ridge” – basically a copper bar fixed under the ridge. I know that copper is used to good effect in some boat hull anti-fouling paints but has anyone any experience if this product works? Does anyone have experience of other treatments that work?

Sorry, don't know how it happened but this has ended up on the wrong forum. Sorry mod can't see any way of moving it, will leave it to you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blimey, that was quick; thanks!

It "ended up in the wrong forum" because it is where you posted it.
But as you can see I have moved it.
Ooooohh, sorreeey; I though I'd selected Roofing but obviously I didn't! It was an accident & I did realise as soon as I'd posted & put a rider on it; as I said, I looked but there doesn't seem to be any way for me to move it. At least I didn't post twice!

Shan
Thanks for the reply. I did think it might take a little time for the copper sulphate to leach out over the roof but was unsure if one copper strip near the top of the ridge would be effective over a large roof area. Anyone else got any experiences to add?

Sponsored Links
i used sulphate of iron powder to clear the moss on my north facing roof, bought it from local garden centre mixed it 1 oz to 1 gallon of water and sprayed it on, moss died of in a couple days hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back