Most economical way to border/edge 100m of grass beside a monoblock driveway which looks good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large monoblock driveway and patio area whose edges total about 100 metres against grass.

The grass tends to overgrow on to the monoblock which looks ugly and then requires regular trimming with an edge tool which takes ages.

The monoblock is not separated from the grass at all, except for a thin (maybe 15cm) strip of concrete which runs alongside the monoblock at the same level (or very slightly sunken), like this:

FoDgfy6.jpg

I would like to put a more permanent border between the grass and the monoblock, but looking at edge stones or log roll borders, this would easily cost at least £1000 - £2000 just to buy the materials.

It would also presumably require me to chisel or hammer out the concrete strip in order to create a gap for the border to sit.

Is there a more economical way to separate the monoblock and the grass which would:
  1. Stop grass/weeds encroaching on the monoblock
  2. Be installable by a DIYer (ideally without removing concrete)
  3. Be reasonably cheap/economical to buy materials for
  4. Last a good few years without replacing?
Any thoughts welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Flexible metal lawn edging would be my suggestion.

This is a budget one £29 for 10 metres

That might do nicely - if it can slide in between the monoblock and the concrete strip then it would stop the turf encroaching and shouldn't affect drainage.

I might order a small length and give it a try - thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
That might do nicely - if it can slide in between the monoblock and the concrete strip then it would stop the turf encroaching and shouldn't affect drainage.

I might order a small length and give it a try - thank you!
I have to say- I've not used it. I've been looking at metal edging for my garden and came across this as it's quite a bit cheaper than the heavier duty strips - which are like the ones that the National Trust use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back