Motion detetion CCTV to phone..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking at getting a 4 way cctv system of which I would like to broadcast to an iphone...

I have a wired internet connection so I would like to connect to cameras to a stand alone webserver if needed (I dont want to use a pc)

I would like the cameras to have motion detection so if someone walks in front of them it would upload a certain amount of minutes of video then alert me on my iphone so I can replay and see the intruder/s

Can anyone point me in the direction of an affordable system?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll get a lot of pictures of spiders spinning their webs at night... How much data do you get on your phone contract? ;) (can't find a "tongue in cheek" emoticon)

Unless you have a serious problem, virtually all of your video motion detection (VMD) footage will be naturally occuring - spiders, cats, foxes, birds, trees and bushes in the wind, etc., etc. It's probably better to get some kind of notification (SMS, email) and then "dial in" to the cctv.

How would you describe "affordable"? It is unlikely that you will recoup the cost of any system in a domestic setting (but they are a lot of fun!). Cheap systems have lousy VMD and you may get far too many "false alarms". Virtually all DVRs and NVRs will allow you to record constantly at a slow frame rate and at full speed when (and before) motion is detected

Why not a PC? Many professional systems are based on PC architecture, running Windows, but are configured for DVR operation (video grade hard disks, high speed ethernet ports, etc.).

I have a webcam where you can adjust motion sensitivity.

It picks up moving cars with ease, and people within about 5metres, but does not start recording for cats or squirrels. It does start if a bird flies at it or walks about on the windowsill.

You'll get a lot of pictures of spiders spinning their webs at night... How much data do you get on your phone contract? ;) (can't find a "tongue in cheek" emoticon)

Unless you have a serious problem, virtually all of your video motion detection (VMD) footage will be naturally occuring - spiders, cats, foxes, birds, trees and bushes in the wind, etc., etc. It's probably better to get some kind of notification (SMS, email) and then "dial in" to the cctv.

How would you describe "affordable"? It is unlikely that you will recoup the cost of any system in a domestic setting (but they are a lot of fun!). Cheap systems have lousy VMD and you may get far too many "false alarms". Virtually all DVRs and NVRs will allow you to record constantly at a slow frame rate and at full speed when (and before) motion is detected

Why not a PC? Many professional systems are based on PC architecture, running Windows, but are configured for DVR operation (video grade hard disks, high speed ethernet ports, etc.).

The system is for inside a commercial premises...

I was looking at something like this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aviosys-I...1368953677?hash=item2c8e7a7f4d#ht_1585wt_1198

Trouble is I dont know how they work

What software/interface would the data be uploaded to?

I could have a seperate sms alarm for movement detection and just have the video continually uploading...then log in and play it back?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I could have a 4 channel stand alone dvr on site then dial into it and view what has been recorded from the phone once an alarm has taken place? maybe? Not sure if thats possible however

That box you linked will send continuous video to the internet, and you can see it on your phone.

If you want to be alerted by movement then you need a proper CCTV DVR.

Most of them can be set to send alerts when they see motion, and most of them will allow you to remotely replay video. But they all work slightly differently, and the cheap ones on eBay are often unreliable and have clunky software.

HikVision are pretty good value for money, but you really need to look at the specs very carefully to be sure it does exactly what you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back