CCTV / Security advice please.

thanks for the details, sent you an email with some indications of capability, and being able to identify a person.

your front forecourt,and rear garden are relatively large.

rear garden 20 x 15m plus
side 3m x 8m ish
and front court yard is 10 x 15m plus

get a local company to give you a quotation, don't know your internal room sizes, the google map image loaded in ipvm isn't the clearest for making the boundaries out.

if you want to see someone you can get away with lower spec cameras and keep the number of cameras low, if you want to identify people you would need more cameras/ or better cameras.

DS-2CD2385FWD-I camera 2.8mm lens x 2 would cover the front forecourt at identifiable spec of 250ppm up to the drive entry point from the house. Only had a quick look on ipvm.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
use the ipvm tool, set the ppm to 250, once you have selected the camera spec, move the cameras closer to the door or increase the lens from 2.8 to 4mm to 6mm and you will see the coverage.

in the ipvm it shows the angle of view when selecting the cameras, the angle of view goes down as the lens size goes up.

the pre supplies cables need to get back to your NVR an are 20m long, I would be surprised if they all would get from camera to nvr but you can measure that.

Sponsored Links
Why does the Swann kits give out 1080p as recording resolution as both 3mp and 4mp are much higher than 1080.....? Also 1 year warranty.....! 3 with hikvision and both look like single bay machines

resolution is an interesting thing.

It worries me that I have seen several systems out there with camera resolutions higher than there suggested recording resolutions.

Why have a camera live view of 4MP, and record at 2MP(1080p), just doesn't make sense to me.

lol good luck with that.

Best Swann deal i can see £580 and thats for four cameras. 2 extra cameras @ £120 each.
Swann grand total £820
http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/swan...bullet-cameras2-x-nhd-819-dome-cameras-245103

To buy in the Uk IP Hikvision would be approx:

Cameras £120 x6 = £720
8 channel Nvr £190
2Tb Hard Drive = £75
Total = £985

The above does not include cable, cat5 crimps and crimp tool.

UK Turbo Hikvision would be around £520 not including cable, bnc connectors + bnc crimp tool.

Another option is to import Chinese Grey Market cameras. Bit of a risk because if it doesn't work it a long way to take it back. However I make a 4Mp Hikvision IP system approx £525 for six cameras. Price does not include cable, crimps and crimp tool.

Today I've been asked again about setting up a cctv system for a friend of a friend.
They asked what benefit would they achieve with IP cameras over Turbo to warrant the price difference?

I said none really. Is there any benefit of ip over turbo?

Also is Hik Turbo analogue HD?

Last edited:
well I prefer IP, and turbo 4 is out now so you can get better specification cameras, I would use Turbo on an existing analogue system wiring to upgrade.

some of the Turbo DVR's can add a limited number of IP units over your home network, easiest way is probably a poe switch to add them.

The most important thing is to spec the system to do the job, right camera right lens right number of cameras, correct NVR/DVR capability and correct hard drive size.

There are so many CCTV systems out there that are not fit for the purpose, seen some good systems and some awful systems but still not fit for purpose.

well I prefer IP, and turbo 4 is out now so you can get better specification cameras, I would use Turbo on an existing analogue system wiring to upgrade.

some of the Turbo DVR's can add a limited number of IP units over your home network, easiest way is probably a poe switch to add them.

The most important thing is to spec the system to do the job, right camera right lens right number of cameras, correct NVR/DVR capability and correct hard drive size.

There are so many CCTV systems out there that are not fit for the purpose, seen some good systems and some awful systems but still not fit for purpose.

But why pay almost double for IP? What are the benefits?

This guy will be more than happy with a 1080p system so the only benefit i can think of for installing ip is it makes it easier for the installer i.e no psu's required.

firstly anyone installing a system because someone is happy about it, isn't doing anyone any favours.

its should be about the task its needed to perform, does your camera selection make it possible, along with your dvr/nvr choice. I have seen cheap and expensive systems not fit for purpose, only when a customer needs the image for something and finds out its not suitable they are aware of the systems true worth.

Things are changing all the time, for example the link below is effectively out of date now in terms of capabilities, but its probably the best article I can find that isn't clouded by my own judgement and includes several different technologies.

http://www.hdanalog.com/compare/hd-ip.html

There are several videos online compare technologies, but again these may well be out of date on whats available today.

You can look up many cameras on youtube for an idea of how it performs, its good when several different cameras have been used to show the same scene as it gives a more accurate representation of a systems limitations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back