advice on cctv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need some advice on changing the CCTV system. At present I have an old cctv system with four black and white camera a multiplexer and two monitors.We continously watch the monitor in the kitchen from 7 am to 10 pm till we go to bed with no recording.I want to upgrade the cctv with four colour cameras and a D V R to contonousl watch the monitor in the kitchen and record one camera positioned at the main gate.I looked in the Ebay but get confused.Do I need a multiplexer if I use DVR ? Could I record one Camera while watching all other cameras on the monitor continuosley? Which cameras and DVR I should buy? Your advice will be very much appreciated.Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It really depends on what you buy but nowadays most DVR's are a multiplexer and a recorder in one. However you need to check that before you buy.

You should be able to record one camera whilst watching the others, again depends on spec.

Worth noting that colour cameras aren't (usually) as good in low light as black and white ones. If low light surveillance is important remember that if you are switching from mono to colour.

Afraid I can't recommend hardware as I've not worked in cctv for a few years.

It really depends on what you buy but nowadays most DVR's are a multiplexer and a recorder in one. However you need to check that before you buy.

You should be able to record one camera whilst watching the others, again depends on spec.

Worth noting that colour cameras aren't (usually) as good in low light as black and white ones. If low light surveillance is important remember that if you are switching from mono to colour.

Afraid I can't recommend hardware as I've not worked in cctv for a few years.

Mono cameras with LARGE infra red illuminators are best for night time.
Most DVR kit will also feature movement detection so will only record if movement detected within pre set limits. Some even do a "pre alarm" recording that will give you the 30 seconds or so Before the camera is triggered. ( recording goes on all the time but is only used when movement is detected.)

Considering your requirement I;ll suggest you to switch to a IP camera for you residence....they are truly reliable and amazing invention.You can easily eye you property for any where in this world.Last year even we have got them installed at our office area and things are going perfectly fine.

Sponsored Links
Considering your requirement I;ll suggest you to switch to a IP camera for you residence....they are truly reliable and amazing invention.You can easily eye you property for any where in this world.Last year even we have got them installed at our office area and things are going perfectly fine.

I'd have to disagree.
Unlike offices not many homes have structures Cat5 wiring in place and the ability to view cameras over the internet is available through the DVR so why waste the money on IP cameras?

i'd have to disagree.
Unlike offices not many homes have structures Cat5 wiring in place and the ability to view cameras over the internet is available through the DVR so why waste the money on IP cameras?

As you currently have cameras in place standard cctv cameras would be a better solution. As I said before make sure that the replacements will work in low light and/or invest in some illuminators. The infra red illuminators that are built into cameras are whofully inadequet ( IMO )

Have a look at something like the Genie 5324V-they have colour daytime with B&w IR night-time illumination, they are also vandal.
As for DVRs, concept Pro do a nice 4ch full time recorder with main and spot monitor outputs and can also be networked if necesary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back