Motorised Valve Operation - Is my Understanding correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can clarify if i've worked out the correct understand of how a motorised actuator works:

I suspect i have a wiring problem with my 3port actuator: Myson MPE322-3 port 22mm Spring Return Valve on a y-plan system. I would like to ask your advice so I can contact a plumber or electrician with confidence knowing I'm talking about the correct situation.

The problem is with "central heating" only selection.
Once I switch the central heating on the valve motors to port A which is ok. However once the heating is switched off (either at the controller or via the room thermostat being satisfied) the lights go out on the valve but physically it stays in the port A position.

I can hear a humming noise from the actuator and after a period of time with the heating off it gets fairly hot. The only way i can get it to move from this position (and stop humming / cool down) is to switch on the hot water only on, once the central heating is switched off.

My understanding - and what i want to check with guys - is that once the heating is switched off on the controller or the room thermostat is satisfied - then there should be no power going to the valve and the valve should "spring" shut to rest in the port B only position. Is this correct?

If you could confirm my understanding is correct then i can call in an electrician with some confidence - or if not - then let me know if my valve seems to be operating correctly (in which case i don't have a problem) - I would be very grateful.

Rgds
Kev

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back