Mould around silicon on windows in main bedroom

If you have condensation due to cold bridging (poorly fitted window with insulation gaps around, poor quality window), extra ventilation only helps in the sense it makes the air in your house to cold to condensate on the cold window surfaces.

Ventilation is not the only solution, because that only suggests one cause.

I would recommend icewinders solution, far to many windows are fitted poorly, with inadequate insulation around the frame.

It "might" just be poor quality mastic (get the anti mould type), but it's not that big a job to do it as above.

My thoughts exactly , siliconed my windows 3 times with good quality silicone but everytime the mould came back.
Like you said " windows are fitted poorly, with inadequate insulation around the frame" was exactly what mine were , thrown in by subbys for the council more than likely on price work.
If you see a gap throw some foam in and be done :):)

Sponsored Links
If you have condensation due to cold bridging (poorly fitted window with insulation gaps around, poor quality window), extra ventilation only helps in the sense it makes the air in your house to cold to condensate on the cold window surfaces.

Ventilation is not the only solution, because that only suggests one cause.

I would recommend icewinders solution, far to many windows are fitted poorly, with inadequate insulation around the frame.

It "might" just be poor quality mastic (get the anti mould type), but it's not that big a job to do it as above.

Thanks for that.

I really do believe it is the quality of the fitting..

When you mean mastic, is this basically silicon?

Would this do?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAL-Micromax-Silicone-Sealant-Mastic-/260992814501?var=#vi-content

Cheers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi,
This is an interesting thread as i have exactly the same problem but on the top of my bathroom window at the sides of the opener. The top of the window is fine but all my bricks have gone to black mold along both sides at the top only alongside the top opener. I leave the top opener on the night vent all the time. Could it be a leak from the fascia/soffits? i had these fitted almost a year ago with no problem with the windows fitted around October last year. I am in a bungalow. The window people came yesterday and say there is nothing wrong with the window although they didn't remove the side trims, they said it was weatherproof and probably coming from the roof.
Any ideas? None of my other windows are affected and they are quite close to each other and would have thought that if it were the soffits leaking it would affect more than one window? Its too wet at the moment to pop some roof tiles back to check down inside the eaves. Been in the loft today and all looks dry although i cannot see right down over the beam to check from inside properly.

Sponsored Links
Not sure how they can really find out anything without removing the trim.

You can check the external seals for any obvious gaps, but it might be worth removing the internal trims and seeing if there are any gaps around the window frame, if so fill them with expanding foam.

When you say they are new windows, did you have this problem with the old ones?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply,
There is only trim at the head of the window inside at the top and the quadrant trim at the bottom as i have tiles up to a picture rail and tiled over the old existing windowcill and they put quadrant along the bottom inside. Outside i have the 2 plastic flat trims that are silicined against the brickwork and a piece of quadrant against the top up to the cement.
I thought it odd that they didnt remove the trims to see, although i must admit that the silicone does look quite substantial with no obvious gaps.
The old wooden window never leaked and never had a problem with wet bricks beforehand, although i did have slight mould inside right at the top of the rebate along the top where the plaster met the window, but never got any worse over the years and put that down to condensation when hubby laid in a very hot bath, but always had the window open always to ventilate.
I don't really know what it can be,so would it be worth pushing the tiles back to check inside the soffits first and then maybe get them back if i cannot see anything wrong, i really don;t know what to do, it is just so frustraiting. Like i said all the other 2 windows and the kitchen french doors at the back are fine. No wet patches anywhere else and due to this heavy rain i would have thought if it were my roof there would be more signs of roof leakage than in one place..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back