Mould forming on bathroom ceiling

G

george765

I believe the mould is forming due to the cold loft above the ceiling (warm moist air in bathroom condensating on ceiling and allowing mould to form). I plan to increase the insulation above the bathroom ceiling as well as uprating the extractor fan.
Should I lay a vapour barrier down in the loft above the b/room ceiling before insulation and what type of insulation should I use i.e. rockwool, blankets, boards ?
thanks for any advice
George

Sponsored Links
george765, good evening.

Short answer is yes, place glass wool insulation into the loft + you may need to add roof void ventilation, if there is not enough air leakage into the loft at present from the outside?

Trying to install a Vapour Barrier without full ceiling plasterboard and installing layer of plastic film type material.

As for loft insulation? there are several grants available, suggest you check them out, may save you some £££?

Loft ventilation ? if there are a lot of air spaces at eaves level then do not stuff the insulation into the eaves.

If your roof has an overhang and a Soffit you can easily retro-fit circular screw in vents that will provide a full cross flow of air above the insulation, No ventilation will result in the condensation occurring on the timber in the loft rather than on the ceiling in the Bathroom???

if you have one fitted use the extractor fan.

Ken

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back