Mould in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Got some black mould gradually getting worse in the loft, most noticeable on the white felt (new ish as roof was re done within last 10 Years) also it’s formed on the topside of the loft hatch
No leaks, roof is Marley Anglias, dry ridge (but felt not cut at ridge)
Loft insulation mainly good for 95% of the area and over a foot thick except the odd spot with none
Am thinking the following but I’d really appreciate thoughts on which is the priority order to try these as some are easier than others:
- put something in the felt laps to open them up
- fully cover all ceiling area with loft insulation (mainly all covered already)
- ridge vents (not sure how many?)
- tile vents
- soffit vents

Any words of wisdom appreciated as always!

Sponsored Links
You may well just get away with the felt laps, but making sure that all the insulation is good will also help. Tile vents by the felt laps would be the next thing to consider, but ridge vents won't do a great deal, as any moisture that gets in the loft, will get cold, and stop rising; you want it blown away from one side to the other. And check that the soffits are clear, as there may be ventilation there already that's been blocked.

You also need to check if there is an excessive amount of moisture in the house that leaking up into the loft.

Cheers Doggit. I'll go with the lap vents first then. I've got a bit of scaffold up at the mo as I had to rebuild the chimney, so if anything needs doing externally now would be a good time.
re. "You also need to check if there is an excessive amount of moisture in the house that leaking up into the loft." - nothing that I'm aware of, house is nice and warm and dry, no tanks in loft, heating on all the time due to having a 5 week old baby, so no issues that I'm aware of - loft hatch well sealed too as its one of those nice fakro jobs

Obviously, with the house being nice and hot, it'll trap more moisture in the air, and that'll rise into the loft as a natural consequence; but if the lofts well ventilated, then that'd deal with it, so if you've got scaffolding, then I'd put a tile vent in where you put the lap vents just as a sensible measure.

Sponsored Links
I had a terrible problem in my loft with condensation and we justcouldn't get rid of it. Turned out my bell of a neighbour had a tumble dryer venting inside the house....and as I live in a old terrace it was leaking through into our loft space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back