Mould on wall in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomreid/5338283283/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomreid/5338283283/

Hi

I live in a rented house and the shower in the bathroom is pretty badly designed.

The tiles only cover the first foot or so above the bath, so it's an uncovered plastered, painted wall that's above them.

Hopefully the URL above works and you can see what's happening. Mould is beginning to appear in spots above the tiles on the wall.

I'm hoping to leave this place soon, so not looking for a long term fix.

Are there any good techniques or products out there to get rid of this mould off the wall without damaging the paintwork too much?

cheers

Tom.

Sponsored Links
Contact your landlord or letting agent in writing giving your concerns about damage to the wall as there is no protection. Take pictures to cover yourself.

Hopefully they won't blame you and deduct it from your deposit.!!!

Andy

It's not a bad design, it's just lack of ventilation.

Does it have an extractor fan, does it work, do you use it?

I also live in an apartment and we have an extractor fan in our bathroom but even using it as we should it still smells damp in there.

50/50 mix of bleach and water will kill the mould, and a 99p sample paint from B&Q will mask it if it isn't just growing on the surface and won't wipe off.

Sponsored Links
Agree with John that you need an extract fan.

You could clean off the mould with a mould removing product, I think Dettol make a spray. Then cover with a bathroom paint that has mould guard added which should help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back