Decorating bathroom on a budget

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We live in a council flat and wanted to decorate our small bathroom we have. At the min as you can see from the photo's we have removed the wall paper which was on the walls and also the old style celling tiles have also been removed. We don't want to change the bathroom suite as these are in good working order. The council has patched up the walls where plaster fell off and there is no floor down so would need to do floor to.

Not sure if to tile all walls or just renew the tiles around sink and bath and then wall paper with bathroom paper or to get the walls skim and paint.

Any advice or tips would be a great help.

We don't have a tight budget but don't want to spend massive amounts of money and would like to do everything myself instead of paying someone.

IMAG0403 by chrisb1357, on Flickr

IMAG0404 by chrisb1357, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
I would leave the tiles if they're ok, and just paper the walls with woodchip if they're a bit rough. Some vinyl silk emulsion should give you an easy to wipe down surface.

We had removed woodchip from the wall as i was told it holds the moisture more if this is true or not am not sure.

Do you have to use bathroom paint and wallpaper or will normal stuff be ok.

Also with the roof am i best to prime and then paint with a bathroom white paint

Chris

Sponsored Links
Prep it and paint it. Wallpaper is pretty naff.

With a bit of prep it will be. Papering over a duff wall looks horrendous.

What's the best prep method. Nor sure if someone had pva the walls under they paper we removed

Joe`s diluted cheap undercoat ;) and a tub of lightweight ready mix filler - then all over with acrylic egshell

Depends on your budget. You can get farily decent white tiles between £6 & £10/m2 so approx 20m2 = £200 for fully tiled. Tubs of adhesive public price £15/tub x 4 = £60 bag of Bal wall grout £20. Not sure if you have any tiling tools? Remove that piece of timber above the window if your tiling easier to get round. Of you could go full height around the bath half height rest of room and paint the walls.

Can't see the floor but tiles or vinyls but you would have to add plywood to the floor so I would allow £100-200 for the floor. It might come in less than that just a rough idea plus you might have to buy tools or hire them.

Hi all,

Still working on ideas for the bathroom. Was looking at bathroom gladding for the walls and celling but am not 100% keen on the look of the stuff.

ALso was looking at moasic tiles sheets for all the walls

Another idea I have is to use PVC cladding on the celling and tile all the walls and floor. The celling is in a bad way so was going to fix wood frame around this area and fix the cladding to that.

Chris

Well that sounds hideous but it's your bathroom. :confused:

Prep it and paint it and see how you like it. Cheap and still the best imo.

Well that sounds hideous but it's your bathroom. :confused:

haha im glad you said it first :LOL:

Seriously go for tiles around the bath and paint the rest, or fully tiled.

Even a painted ceiling would look better than cladding.

Also the mosaics although the walls look good enough from the photos you put up they are usually more expensive and I wouldn't recommend a DIY'er try mosaics for a first time tiling project.

Paul

Bathroom fitter/tiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back