Mountfield 1538M-SD mower steering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

When mowing my lawn with a Mountfield 1538M-SD ride on mower yesterday I managed to knock the front wheel on a tree stump. This has put the steering out of centre such that it only steers a little to the right on full lock, but has a tiny turning circle when on a full left lock. It is otherwise ok.

An inspection shows that the steering is very simple, but I cannot see anything that looks wrong.

Found some parts schematics on line, and there doesn't look to be anything that can twist/move.(see
http://www.partslookup.co.uk/getdiagram/20171803-6fba-4ec1-8f5d-2528c7bf8568.gif). There is a quarter circle toothed plate (24) that should be central when the wheels are straight, but is now at about a quarter in when the wheels are straight. The plate is linked to the top of the wheel by a rod with ball joints (31), but this does not appear to be bent or damaged. This fixes to the squared top of the stub axle (42) by a steering arm (34) with a square hole that cannot possibly turn out of square. Both wheels are parallel so it is not an individual wheel at fault.

I am at loss as to what is damaged.

Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers,
Tom.

Sponsored Links
Pin 9 drives pinion 10. and I'd suggest that pinion 10 has slipped allowing the cranked gear 24 to jump a tooth or two.

Nozzle

Surely that shouldn't make a difference as the quarter circle is direcly fixed to the top of the stub axle. The plate should be central when the wheels are straight, regardless of the position of the the steering wheel.

Looking closer there are adjusters on the ball joints at the ends of the steering rod that appear to be to centralise the steering, but a knock to the wheels should not 'unscrew' the adjusters to that extent. I am not even sure there is that much play in it. Might have to look at those, but it is now tipping it down with rain.

The pinion that drives the quadrant can shear its roll pin that fixes it to the steering shaft - its also not unknown for the odd tooth to shear off :eek:
Also check the steering tie rod (39) for kinking.
John :)

Sponsored Links
As above ...........

Don't go messing with the adjusters, they wont have enough travel.

You will have to look at what the other gentleman was good enough to suggest to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back