Mountfield rv45 150cc not starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I wonder if anybody can point me in the right direction I have a Mountfield lawnmower rv45 150cc and it does not want to run I have Checked the spark plug and it works and the strange thing is if I spray carb cleaner into the carb it starts up for 1-2 secs and then dies.

Is there anything else to check its not old it's about 2 years

Sponsored Links
2 years is old for a mountfield, the fuel is not getting to the engine take the float chamber off clean it and check the jet.

2 years is old for a mountfield, the fuel is not getting to the engine take the float chamber off clean it and check the jet.

hi took the carb off then the float gave it a good clean with carb cleaner and jets put it back on and still no joy only starts up when i spray carb cleaner in there for 1-2 secs

Any more ideas thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't want to steal Merlin's thunder, but does this engine have a primer button?
Post a pic of the carburettor side if you can.
John :)

Thanks for the pics - helps a lot ;)
So, there's no primer button, so can I assume that the throttle lever has a choke position - one step further than full speed?
No matter - this is a simple carburettor and, as Merlin suggests, needs a good clean. With the float bowl removed, remove the float needle and check for muck in there. After that, remove the main jet and an emulsion tube which is in the centre of the carburettor.
There will probably be a small drilling in the carb end, parallel to the main venturi - this needs to be clear too.
Ideally you need compressed air to clean carbs out, together with an aerosol of carb cleaner - there's no place for rags or kitchen paper here!
Unfortunately this engine doesn't have a petrol tap so the fuel pipe needs to be tied as high up as possible to prevent leakage, which is a bit of a pain. There is a filter though, inside the tank just above the fuel outlet.

Thanks for the pics - helps a lot ;)
So, there's no primer button, so can I assume that the throttle lever has a choke position - one step further than full speed?
No matter - this is a simple carburettor and, as Merlin suggests, needs a good clean. With the float bowl removed, remove the float needle and check for muck in there. After that, remove the main jet and an emulsion tube which is in the centre of the carburettor.
There will probably be a small drilling in the carb end, parallel to the main venturi - this needs to be clear too.
Ideally you need compressed air to clean carbs out, together with an aerosol of carb cleaner - there's no place for rags or kitchen paper here!
Unfortunately this engine doesn't have a petrol tap so the fuel pipe needs to be tied as high up as possible to prevent leakage, which is a bit of a pain. There is a filter though, inside the tank just above the fuel outlet.

Ok give it ago tomorrow and get back to you

Curiously enough, Mountfield have used both Honda and Briggs engines in their mowers....this one looks like a Chinese one though :confused: It'll come back to life, but spares are a nightmare.

Curiously enough, Mountfield have used both Honda and Briggs engines in their mowers....this one looks like a Chinese one though :confused: It'll come back to life, but spares are a nightmare.

yes they were once a good mower now they are Chinese junk

First pic - the bolt that secures the float chamber to the carb.....there should be a drilling in its side, and one down its centre to form the main jet.
Centre hole - is there an unscrewable jet (emulsion tube) in there? This allows the aerated fuel to pass into the venturi. There should be a hole right up the centre and a few drilled across.
Fifth pic - the small hole in the side of the carb choke - thats pilot jet air feed and needs to be clear.
Sixth pic - see the bolt on the side of the float chamber at an angle? With the carb on the engine, when you take that out, fuel should flow.
With these carburettors, the fuel and air passages are actually drilled out within the casting; i.e they aren't removable. You'll need a good blast of compressed air to clean them...
Eighth pic - blow into the fuel inlet, and let the float drop...you should hear your breath pass, which should stop when the float is gently lifted up (carb normal way up).
If you still get nowhere, take the carb to a lawn mower repairer who will blast compressed air through all the passages for you.
Hope you get it sorted!

First pic - the bolt that secures the float chamber to the carb.....there should be a drilling in its side, and one down its centre to form the main jet.
Centre hole - is there an unscrewable jet (emulsion tube) in there? This allows the aerated fuel to pass into the venturi. There should be a hole right up the centre and a few drilled across.
Fifth pic - the small hole in the side of the carb choke - thats pilot jet air feed and needs to be clear.
Sixth pic - see the bolt on the side of the float chamber at an angle? With the carb on the engine, when you take that out, fuel should flow.
With these carburettors, the fuel and air passages are actually drilled out within the casting; i.e they aren't removable. You'll need a good blast of compressed air to clean them...
Eighth pic - blow into the fuel inlet, and let the float drop...you should hear your breath pass, which should stop when the float is gently lifted up (carb normal way up).
If you still get nowhere, take the carb to a lawn mower repairer who will blast compressed air through all the passages for you.
Hope you get it sorted!

yeah done that its going for repair on saturday but it will take 2 weeks the man said and its under warranty so no cost just wanted to give a ago myself.

thanks for all the help and i will post back when i get the mower back and tell you what the repair man said thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back