Mouse probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, posted this in hardware section but it now seems to be a software fault. My mouse pointer goes of on it's own and starts opening programs. The comp becomes uncontrolable and I have to shut down, the keyboard also locks up. I've tried a differant mouse and had the same problem.

windows xp home, duron 1200, 256mem, asrock k7vm2 mobo (which I installed 5 weeks ago)

Thinking it may be something to do with the bios settings.

Any ideas?
Itchy

Sponsored Links
itchy said:
Thinking it may be something to do with the bios settings.

Any ideas?
Itchy

I doubt very much the BIOS is the cause. You mentioned it was cordless, was the other mouse you tried corded?
IF yes:
I would look for hardware conflicts and if none found I'd uninstall any drivers for the mouse, reboot and reinstall them. If that fails then you may well need to do a complete reinstall to sort the problem.
If no:
I'd suspect you have something giving false signals to the mouse controller.

sorry to say this but when you say it may be something to do with the bios settings.

that means one of 2 things,

1) you are "clutching at straws"

2) YOU did go into the BIOS and change something, and dont know what

I say this because if you knew what the bios does you would have been there and changed it, or you have no idea and you have heard the word mentioned

Either way i think you should format your hard drive, and do a brand new clean install.

assuming you have used the "system restore" which can only restore as far back to its last update

Sponsored Links
Does the problem occur in safe mode?

Is is a PS/2 or USB mouse? If PS/2, check that you haven't bent the pins and forced two of them into one hole (Sounds impossible, but seen it happen). I've also seen setups where mouse/keyboard wrong way round

Was the second mouse you tried corded or wireless?

If using USB, try a PS/2 one instead (and vice versa).

Did you take a restore point before installing the a/v software?

If USB, how many other USB devices?

The problem seems to have been with the mobo. I put my old mobo back in and the system is running fine (although my ipod is now only downloading at usb1.1 speed) I'm taking the mobob back. The prob happened with both corded and ir mice. I could not see anything in the bios setup that was wrong, I even restored the original defaults.

try new mouse driver and also see what IRQ your mouse is set on,

Back