Mouse Trap weak springs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several wooden Little Nipper mouse traps which were used successfully last winter. Having got them out again I find that the springs are suddenly weakened so that they won't set, although they were fine when put away. I appreciate they only cost a quid or so, and am happy to replace if necessary, but wonder if I am missing something really obvious in terms of adjustment, or whether they all just go like this after a while?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you store them damp? Might be worth rubbing a bit of vegetable oil over the springs to see if that helps (not mineral nor WD40, as you don't want to deter the little blighters away from the choccy treat you've left with murderous intent ;))

Thanks, I'll try that. To be fair, there seems to be plenty of tension in the springs themselves, just that the arm that you set and swings over to dispatch the mouse doesn't seem to be spring loaded anymore.

Sponsored Links
It's strange but myself and a few others have noticed that after these type of traps have caught a couple of mice they tend to avoid them almost as if they can smell death on them.
I remember once a friend and I was working in an old pub and he set some traps for the vermin there. He'd already encouraged them into a room we used for breaks by putting down food and staying quiet and still.However , these were rats and though one did trip the trap it being a mouse trap didn't kill it. So my friend ran over and battered it with a shovel.
I've also used a rat trap and caught a mouse in it although the more powerful spring virtually cut the mouse in half.
I've had good results with a humane trap where the creature goes in and trips a door. Mind you it's not so humane when I chuck it in a bucket of water to drown the occupant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back