Shower not draining quick - cleaning beyond the trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Trying to sort out a shower that is not draining so quick.

General pic

Close up of trap and components

I've cleaned out the trap and it still seems to not be draining quick enough, with a steady build of water in the tray during use.

I've used the usual supermarket pour-down drain unblockers before with some success. At one time it stopped pretty much completely and we then got a plumber who got it going again by pouring some very strong acid down.
I want to try and fix more thoroughly now. I'm aware pouring strong stuff down won't be good for the pipes.

I can feel down inside where there is a small opening. There is a waste pipe that runs along in the boxed in section. The small opening in the trap is on the left hand side, so I guess the pipe is here that joins up to it, with a small run and joining with a 45 or 90 deg elbow.

I have a small flexible cleaning spring, but when I push it down and round into this opening, it won't go in far.
I'm not sure of the layout of this type of trap - any advice from the pics? Is it not possible to unblock in this way, due to their design?
I suspect it is a cheap trap, but I couldn't see any obvious diagrams on line.

With a kitchen sink, I've taken apart the u bend and manually cleaned out. This doesn't seem a viable option here. I don't really want to start pulling the shower apart, not sure if the plastic strip by the floor is intended to come away easily and put back/reseal?

Suggestions appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The vac seems the best bet, any chance of breaking into it at an elbow to fit a rodding eye before it goes into the stack or hopper?

Have you blasted it with the open end of the shower hose down it?? That's my usual method & that works 90% of the time. If it's too short buy a flexi tap connector to extend it or a longer hose.
HTH

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I have had some good results by using a wet vacuum cleaner......tends to pull the gunge back a bit.
John :)

Alas not got a wet vac

The vac seems the best bet, any chance of breaking into it at an elbow to fit a rodding eye before it goes into the stack or hopper?

The pipe that is hidden under the boxed in section runs right to the bath waste. The bath waste is flowing fine here, but quite a long run back to the shower. I am thinking below the shower there is a short run and an elbow before joining this run.

Have you blasted it with the open end of the shower hose down it?? That's my usual method & that works 90% of the time. If it's too short buy a flexi tap connector to extend it or a longer hose.
HTH

Able to disconnect the shower head and get the open end into the trap, it does reach. Can only really blast vertically down into the trap - can't angle to blast through the little opening. It has a push fit type of connector for the shower head. Maybe there's something I could rig up to try to get it round.
I ran for a bit earlier, but hadn't helped. Maybe try longer.

No promises, but how about a plastic funnel upside down over the hole and cobble the hose on to it in some way, perhaps you could get a buxom young lady in a T shirt to hold it down in case it splashes. It's worth trying it for that reason alone ;)

Get a wet vac from wickes for £40, cheaper than calling anyone out.
It is all that I normally use.

Andy

Will give this serious consideration.

Managed to get the wire end of the flexi thing down the pipe through the trap. Couldn't feel any serious resistance and then reached the elbow. Was about 0.5m down, which was consistent with distance from plug hole to wall.

Put the shower hose down there too with the push fit connector removed.

Have finished off with a bit of supermarket unblocker to tide me over.

Footprints - have suggested the t shirt and funnel from the good lady! Hopefully will get some joy ;)

HTH

Failing that, baking soda & vinegar, leave it for a few minutes & then pour hot water down the trap. I'd like to thank Mr MacKay my chemistry teacher, rarely sober but, an everlasting influence on me never the less.

Have you tried the obvious?

plunger431x300.jpg

Always works for our shower.

Always always always the same problem wherever I see this problem - girls' long hair, which won't respond to chemicals. Hence the plunger.

Wet vac is the best bet but also buy a packet of blu-tac and use it around the vac nozzle to get a proper seal into the plug hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back