Moved into new house - radiators not getting hot enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently moved into a new house, and am having problems getting the radiator hot?

I have 11 radiators in my detached house and with the thermostat turned to 30 the maximum room temperature I can get is 17C !!!

When I touch the radiators they are warm – to hot, but not to the point where I shouldn’t be able to touch them?

I have had a plumber round and he has advised that I have my radiators power flushed at £620+vat?

I have the following heating appliances & equipment in my loft:

Potterton Suprima 80 with new PCB board installed on 12/04
Honeywell Thermostat

Westco Type 5-3 pump (S/N 21772297)
02.JPG

Honeywell F9-9846
03.JPG

Myson Aerjec II
04.JPG

Honeywell L641A1005 T70
07.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

01.JPG

I have already turned the boiler off and bleed all the radiators so there is no air in the system?

When I look at the boiler is lights up for a while, then flashes a green light which according to the manual mean that the boiler has reached it set temperature?, but with the temp set to 30c I should be sweating but I am not?

Should I empty all my radiators myself or get a company in to do a powerflush?

How good are the powerflushes?

Many thanks

James
:(

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do in the first instance is to measure the heat of the radiators and the boilers flow and return pipework. At least then you will be able to make a better judgement about the next step.

A powerflush for £620+VAT is excessive IMO, you should be looking at the £350 mark.

Sponsored Links
Either
Boiler IS OK, just not big enough for all your rads
Boiler is OK but circulation poor so you aren't getting heat out
Boiler is running cool

Close some rads, turn HW off (&/or turn pump down to speed 1) - boiler flow pipe should get very very hot and boiler should cut in and out.
If it doesn't, suspect boiler temp sensor, gas valve, gas supply pressure..
If it does, suspect knackered pump, sludge in system..

big10uk wrote:

have had a plumber round and he has advised that I have my radiators power flushed at £620+vat?

And we all thought BG were the most expensive for a powerflush :eek:

ChrisR said:
Either
Boiler is running cool

Close some rads, turn HW off (&/or turn pump down to speed 1) - boiler flow pipe should get very very hot and boiler should cut in and out.

Thanks Chris

I will give that a shot on Saturday morning.

James

8) 620 for a power flush, you might as well buy the machine and do it yourself, you could always do a few at weekends for friends and make some cash as well.

ChrisR said:
Either
Boiler is running cool

Chris,

I have just turned my pump down to speed setting 2 and its now making a humming and ticking noise?

Could it be the pump that is at fault?

James

Chris,

Just to let you know that I drain the system down at the weekend and change my pump for £44.

I have refilled the system and bleed and balanced all the rads, there are now hotter.

Thanks guys for all your input, becuase of you lot I have saved £620+vat on a powerflush. (also the water was clear when emptying)

Cheers

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back