Movement in Chipboard Floors in Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new kitchen, and intend laying ceramic floor tiles.

When I ripped up the carpet, I found floorboards in poor condition which had been 'levelled' by covering with levelling compound which had since cracked. The boards had been laid directly onto the concrete base, but the seal (bitumen I think) had come away with the wood. The concrete base appears dry and sound.

I resealed the concrete with Bitumen paint and poured self-levelling compound onto this. I then laid tongue and groove water resistant 18mm chipboard which appears to be flat and stable. I left plenty of room for expansion - job done....except for a couple of mm movement around one doorway and one edge; enough to be noticable.

So should I try to eliminate this movement? I would prefer to leave the boards in situ as they are a *** to lift, in which case I suppose my 50mm screws and rawlpugs are now out of the question? I have BAL Flexible Floor Adhesive ready and waiting for my tiles, so perhaps this will be enough.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you really don't want to lift the boards, you could use your 50mm screws and rawlplugs, but don't just drill a clearance hole in the chipboard, make it a slot so that the wood can move a bit.

Sorry for the ignorance, but do you mean that I need only to insert the plug into a slot so that it sits flush with the surface of the board rather than try to push it through to the concrete base below?

About 30 mm will then still be available to anchor the screw into the concrete. I suppose it is only the vertical movement I am trying to eliminate.

Thank you Handyjon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back