Moving a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into our first home a year ago. The worcester-borsch combi is in the upstairs bathroom in the airing cupboard. Downstairs in the utility room is a cupboard that contained the old boiler (there's still a flue that goes up to the roof but it's been sealed off). The utility room also has the old C/H timer (looks like this one clicky).

Are there any particular reasons why a boiler might be moved upstairs?

The utility room is single-storey with flat roof and no radiator (it can get cold in there at night especially winter).

The reason for asking is we're planning to knock the utility and kitchen together to make a larger room. We're entertaining the thought of underfloor heating because there won't be much space for a proper radiator (missus wants a wall of bifolding doors into the garden). We could put the boiler back in the new larger kitchen room. This would mean the airing cupboard could be removed and we could look at a proper shower unit being fitted (rather than using an electric shower and standing in a bathtub).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the boiler you previously had was no doubt a conventional one with an open flue and a H/W cylinder in the airing cupboard,
this has been replaced by a combi,
the reason it went in the airing cupboard would be because there's usually a cold main, hot supply, and a flow and return that could be adapted to feed the heating, so all the installer would need to do would be to get a gas supply to it,
it obviously could've gone back where the old one was but maybe the previous owner wanted it out of there.
if you put a new one (not many installers would want to move the old one) back where the old one was there should be the heating pipes there abouts to connect on to, and there also will be a hot and cold and a drain for the condensate (assuming you have a sink in there) so it shouldn't be a massive job to do

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. The new boiler was installed in 2013 and so is relatively new. I'd have thought it would have been okay to move downstairs.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. The new boiler was installed in 2013 and so is relatively new. I'd have thought it would have been okay to move downstairs.

It's perfectly OK to move it, you just might struggle to find an engineer who's 'prepared' to move it! I would start with WB themselves and ask them to hook you up with one of their approved installers in your area, that way, they should have no issues with continued warranty support, which is what most installers would be concerned about!

Sponsored Links
There is more work involved in moving a boiler than fitting a new one in most cases.

For some reason most installers quote less for moving a boiler than for installing one.

They then so a lot less work and virtually none do any water treatment.

Tony

There is more work involved in moving a boiler than fitting a new one in most cases.

For some reason most installers quote less for moving a boiler than for installing one.

They then so a lot less work and virtually none do any water treatment.

Tony
You're not an installer so why comment?
Not too long ago you were seeking advice as to how to fix a boiler to a stud wall......and you have the nerve to tar proffesional installers with an unprofessional brush such as yours....

Last edited:

yeah, that should be ok to move, i would get a new flue though (about £70) because it could well get damaged removing it

That all depends on if it was properly installed.

About 50% of those I see on CP12s have no cement sealing on the outside. And about 75% no plaster sealing on the inside.

About 15% are not even cut to length either although that aids reuse.

[ Even one at an ex-trainee was not cut to length on my Saturday visit to clean the plate HE ! ]

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back