MOVING A RADIATOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start installing a new bathroom suite & as part of the project want to change the existing radiator with a towel radiator. This will involve altering the pipework as I want to move the new radiator to a different location.

To keep the job as easy as possible & to avoid draining the system (its a combi system with a small tank in the loft), is the easiest way to do this as follows:- firstly attach the new radiator to the wall (this will already have new radiator valves and pipework attached so it can be joined to the exisitng pipework). Then close both the radiator valves on the existing radiator, freeze the pipes with a freezing kit, cut the pipes and join them up with the new pipework (via a speedfit straight coupler). When the water has thawed, then bleed the new radiator.

Your comments would be appreciated on this & if the freezing kits are any good.

Sponsored Links
I want to know what that small tank in the loft is doing. It would be quite unusual to have an open vented combi.

Other than that, I think your plan is fraught with danger. Just drain down and give yourself time to do the job without worrying about anything (except filling up again obviously!)

I want to know what that small tank in the loft is doing. It would be quite unusual to have an open vented combi.

Other than that, I think your plan is fraught with danger. Just drain down and give yourself time to do the job without worrying about anything (except filling up again obviously!)
Sorry EliteHeat I don't have a combi boiler, I have two boilers, one for the central heating and one for the water. Would your suggestion of draining down the system still apply and why would my plan be fraught with danger? Many thanks.

Although not a mindreader, working on a live system for anything complex is asking for trouble. The main problems relate to time (are you sure you can get it done before the ice melts) and allowance for any errors - what if pushfit fails, what of you have problem with pipe and rads, what if.....

If the system is drained, you can take your time, ensure your pipework is tidy and straight and preferably use a compression joint instead of speedfit which shouldn't really be visible anyway (if the connection is under a floorboard in a confined space then you are making it potentially even harder to deal with). You can then partially refill to check for leaks and drain quickly to deal with any issues, rather than running round like a panicking headless chicken with a whole system to suddenly drain before the an excessive flood takes place.

Sponsored Links
oh man up ffs :LOL:

you're happy to undertake a bathroom fit butscared to drain your heating. :LOL: . just make sure all the electris are off before you drain it. as a preference i like to run a system up to temperature before i drain down just to help stir up any **** in the system before i drain it. remember to inhibir before you refill.

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back