adding a radiator on speedfit pipe circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening gents back again with another simple one.

i want to add a small radiator in our hallway. The central heating is on a vokera combi boiler. The pipework is in speedfit plastic pipe. Now i dont really want to drain down the system completley at this time of year. Im assuming you cant use a pipe freezing kit with speedfit (couldnt find anything on their website) therefore can i do the following as the easiest option:-

fit radiator and pipework from it take it to flow and return. cut pipes and stick on tees very quickly. fill rads and bleed them for air.

is that feasibl, easiest way or am i missing something?

cheers

thermo

Sponsored Links
seems ur answer is in you motto......

the quick answer would be ....no

i think u'd loose too much water all over the place before u could get it connected

i had a feeling youd say that. is a drain down the only option or can a pipe freezing kit be used?

never used pipe freezing kit...but i could be used.
why not drain down......filling up is the only waiting game, but still should not take more than an hr......
unless u live in a mansion !!

Sponsored Links
Yes you can freeze plastic pipe.

If you close the Automatic Air Valve on the boiler (manual cap like tyre valve), release the pressure from the boiler through a drain cock NOT the pressure relief valve, then you can do a quick change hardly losing any water.

Remember to open the AAV afterwards!

Thermo said:
Evening gents back again with another simple one.

is that feasibl, easiest way or am i missing something?

cheers

thermo

you can buy a tool to squeeze plastic pipes (looks like a mangle) - they use them on underground water pipes to save turning off the whole street when making a repair. I have never tried it on a speedfit pipe, but i dont see why it wouldnt work. You can buy the tool from PTS or Drainage Center.

ps, i wouldnt try it on copper microbore ;)

but i dont see why it wouldnt work

Heating pipe is "Barrier " type, so laminated construction. It delaminates if you kink it, so I think your clamp would do the same

cheers guys, i think ill go for the drain down, i just always seem to end up with air in the system, no matter how well i do it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back